Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

I have 2- Hamilton metal Halide lights with 2-ballast that I got with a purchase of a 125 gallon tank. I am planning on using the 125 for freshwater, and really do not need both lights. I was wondering if it would be feasible to use the lights for freshwater or sell them and get 2- lights specific for freshwater. I planned to use them at first by mounting them inside a canopy, but was worried about the heat and amount of electricity needed to operate them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks..

It would help if you told us what kinda mh lights they are. 150w, 250w, 400w. They make 6,700-10k bulbs so you should be able to use them. Just depends on how strong they are.

Comment

They are 150 watts. If I used them would I need to install fans underneath the canopy?

Comment

Originally posted by MacAtk View Post
        They are 150 watts. If I used them would I need to install fans underneath the canopy?
        I have a 125G with 3x150W MH and they are very hot. They raise tank temp and you need fans or chiller. They burn my arms when I work around the tank. They are expensive and use electricity.

You don't want to use them for freshwater. Even with salt water, if you don't have corals, I wouldn't use them either.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I guess I will be selling the lights.

Comment

Working...
          X