Cobraden's 150 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobraden's 150 build

Well after picking up this tank a couple months ago, and grabbing equipment here and there, it looks like it's time to get this party started.
    My idea is to make this a mixed tank with a heavy SPS focus.
    I'm going to take my time as there is a lot to do, but I figured I might as well start documenting it.
    What I have so far:
    150 gallon aquarium
    Oak Stand and Canopy
    Sump
    Warner Marine AR-150 skimmer
    Korallin C1502 Calcium reactor, solenoid valve and CO2 tank
    Aquatic Life 6 bulb T5 system with LED night lights and light controller
    UV sterilizer
    Return pump (have a few to choose from) Planning on using external.
    2 Tunze PH with the 7240 drivers and multi controller. (hope I don't need)
    Have lots of live rock and sand from the 300g take down.
    Still need to pick up as $$ allow:
    GFO reactor
    New plug set for my Reefkeeper2

Tank is a 150 gallon 60"x24"x24". Bought it used and it was being used for a reef. Has some scratches on the front panel but nothing too bad. Tank is reef ready with one 1" drain and one 1" return. Holes in the tank are 1-3/4". Secondary silicone seal inside the tank is discolored and the overflow box if functional but not great looking. The tank has a huge centerbrace
    The plan is to drill the tank for two 1-1/2" drains and an additional return using the new glass hole saws that I just ordered. I will also remove the current overflow box and all of the internal silicone, add the new boxes and redo the entire secondary seal. The center brace will be replaced by a metal brace that I will have made and powercoated to protect from corrosion.

The sump I have is 36"Lx18"Wx24"H. It's a little longer than I wanted to use by about 6" but I have it and can make it work. Right now it's pretty open but I plan on making it somewhat multi purpose. I will add a refugium and a couple of open stands to hold my reactors. Will also add an additional bubble trap and probe holder. The Refugium will have dimension of aprox 15"x8" and be about 16" tall and will be on the front side of the sump so I can see any critters that happen to end up living down there. This will be a very slow current area of the sump. The rest of the sump will have a pretty high flow. The extra length of the sump may force the use of an internal return pump but I'm planning on using external.
    Water return to the tank will be something similar to the one discribed here http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pbh2oret.htm (sorry, don't know how to highlight a word and make it a link) I hope this system keeps me from needing the powerheads but I have them just in case.
    Just started placing things in the stand last night to see how they fit.

Added the lights to the canopy and like the way they work.

LEDs only

full on!

More to follow as I make progress!

looking good, love the lights

Comment

Nice start. Ask Soymilk, but I wouldnt get the RK get the Apex controller.
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Already have the RK. The plug part just got damaged so I need to have that replaced. I like what I have read about the Apex and think that it would be a good future upgrade.

Comment

Keep us posted.
          If it ain't wild caught
          You ain't doing it right

Comment

man, is that tank in your bedroom?

My gal would kill me!

Also, clean looking sump man. Who made it?

Are you going to be doing some form of carbon dosing?
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

i'm interested in finding out what you have planned for the old overflow box i have the same size tank i'm intereted in converting to a reef ready.

Comment

Tank is in my bedroom for now. will be making a move to the dining room once I figure out the configuration and after it's time in the garage for drilling, resealing and testing. My plan was to keep it in the bedroom but it takes up too much room and I think there may be a little water noise. I will put my 46 bowfront in the bedroom and call it good.

I'm still reading up on the carbon dosing. Not sure I can pour vodka into an aquarium. I'm not that good at sharing.

the sump was made by PM. I will modify it to do the things I want it to do now. i was using this sump on my 300.

I'm probably going to trash the old overflow box. The new ones will most likely be bent black plex with better silicone work. Toying with the idea of of making a long overflow box that houses both sets of drains and returns. not quite coast to coast but maybe covering 2/3's of the back. Just not sure I want to take up that much tank space.

Comment

Nice build so far. What UV are you planning on using? Aquatic life fixtures are awesome. Especially with 6 T5 bulbs, you can grow any SPS you want. Are you going to use the BRS GFO, or something else?
                  75 planted (Being Renovated)
                  Endlers
                  gobies
                  lots of nanos

Comment

if there's nothing horably wrong with it i would like to get/buy it from you when the time comes that your ready to toss it. hey is that t5 fixture gonna be good enough to grow all kinds of corals under . just curious because i'm running m/h and power compacts and they're so bulky it really limits me to what i can do when i build my canopy.

Comment

Originally posted by cobraden View Post
                      I'm still reading up on the carbon dosing. Not sure I can pour vodka into an aquarium. I'm not that good at sharing.
                      Yeah, vodka is kinda iffy... and you're royally screwed if you overdose.

Brightwell makes a carbon source for reefs, but that would get pricey in that large of a tank. I would also be interested to know if it is any different than a Flourish Excell...

There is only 1 retail importer of biopellets for the US, so the price of pellets is crazy right now. BRS has some biopellets on their site, but I'm not sure whether they actually have their own made, or they just repackage the current retail variety. Either way, I'm not totally sold on biopellets yet. I think it will be something all reefers use eventually, but the cost is just too high right now.
                      75 planted (Being Renovated)
                      Endlers
                      gobies
                      lots of nanos

Comment

Sea-agg09

I don't remember the UV brand off the top of my head. I bought it several years ago for 110 that I have and I think I may have used it 24 hrs total. It's designed for ponds and is aprox 3 ft long and 4" in diameter. I need to go pull it out and make sure everything still works.

As for the GFO, I'm not sure what brand I will use just yet. That's going to be a whole different research project.

Stephen, I will let you know about the overflow box. I'm not totally sure it will come out in one piece I hope it does. The T5's should be just fine for coral growth. lots of people use them and with 6 bulbs, I should be just fine.

Looks like you are located very close to where I just moved from. I was in the Old Oaks Neighborhood, just behind the Northgate country club.

Comment

old oaks is across the street from me

Comment

From what I understand theres only 2 manfactures that produce Biopellets. I've messed around with 3 brands and they all look the same. After trying both, I prefer vodka. Always remember to start slow and you'll be fine.

As for Gfo, brs was the most economical. Setting up a tank is the funnest part, can't wait til it's up and running.

Btw did you pick out a reactor yet?
                            Last edited by soymilk; 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Haven't picked out the reactor yet but I'm leaning toward the Nextreef one. I need to see what PM has to offer. I've always had good luck with their equipment.

Stephen, my brother still lives in the neighborhood. After I get the box out maybe I'll bring it by and see your tank. He's right off TC jester near cypresswood.

Comment

Working...
                              X