discus issue HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discus issue HELP

As many of you know I have been starting a discus tank. I recently added 5 LSS to my already 5 Turq checkerboard. 4 of the 5 LSS are doing great and one has even layed eggs. The problem is 1 LSS. I have not seen him get bullied or anything, but he just hides in the back. He stays behind a log and turns brown. About one a day he will come out swim around color up and then go hide again. Have not seen if he is eating or not.
    Should I remove him and put him in my 10gal quarantine for a while? don't really want to as I am afraid it could stress him more, but want to do what is best for the fish.

Is this the Darbex rule of 10? "If I buy 10 one always dies and I end up with 9"
    Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
    29 gal (Planted Puffer)
    10 gal (snails and small planted)
    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

i saw that in my discus tanks all the time. if you remove that one, another one will be picked on. you can rearrange your decors to see if it gets better, if not, just leave it as is IMO.

Comment

....and thats why i quit keeping discus!!

Comment

no problem at all most likely. Discus are a schooling fish...somebody has to be the king of the group and then somebody has to be the weak man of the group. Just leave him in there.
        250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

obviously if other issues begin happening, then you will want to take a different approach to the problem.
          250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Sounds about right. JK I would leave him alone discus can actually be very conspecies aggressive especially if one is looking for a mate or breading. Just make sure he eats and doesn't loose body mass. Keep an eye out for any signs of illness and make sure water quality is good because if he is getting stressed he will be more susceptible to illnesses. More than likely with the new additions they are setting the pecking order.
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

There has been a lot of breeding going on. There are always eggs in my tank somewhere. I moved a few rocks and he has been out more. His color is good, just a little dull but not brown any longer.
              Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
              29 gal (Planted Puffer)
              10 gal (snails and small planted)
              5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Number 10 might have internal parasites, the hiding and color change are typical symptoms. If it isn't eating that's another indicator. If it were me, I'd quarrantine it and treat it for parasites, it can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Grenadier33 View Post
                  Number 10 might have internal parasites, the hiding and color change are typical symptoms. If it isn't eating that's another indicator. If it were me, I'd quarrantine it and treat it for parasites, it can't hurt.
                  Respectfully disagree. Taking a fish out of a tank and into another one and then treating can cause stress and guarantee death. If parameters are all good and good water is being changed and the issues persist then i would recommend QT.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                  28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I agree with newb. There is always a dominant one if you have couple of Discus in the same tank.

Comment

mixing fish from different sources is always bad idea.. with out qt..

there is always low man.. thats ok.. he will be stunted and not grow.. but the other ones should.. you take that low man out.. then an new low man takes over and now you have two bad fish..

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
                      N.A.D.A Facebook
                      Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X