ADA NPS Tank (uhuru)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA NPS Tank (uhuru)

Unless you’ve been living under a piece of live rock for most of 2010, you may have noticed that non-Photosynthetic and azooxanthellae corals have been increasing in popularity. New species have been…

That thing is awesome. Filtration is also crazy....

65g display + 20 gallon Elos mini
    40g fuge with miracle mud
    Water Changes every 15m (didn't specify how much)
    ozone
    various macro algae
    carbon dosing

insanity has a name. Its mike cao, and hes my new man crush target.

lol, you wild foo!

Why don't you go NPS on one of your new tanks?

You know you want too.

I wonder my Mike didn't go with bio pellets on the bigger tank. I don't think ozone could be better than bio pellets.

From all reports on RC, bio pellets work well on NPS tanks.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

ozone is pretty badass. makes your skimmer churn out some nasty stuff.

He's already doing carbon dosing ( vodka, sugar, or vinegar ) no need for biopellets, well at least that what i read in the article. Ozone prob helps keep the bacteria in check as well... so it don't go crazy.

Comment

I read somewhere you can't run (or at least shouldn't run) ozone with bio pellets.

I don't know. There is not much out on bio pellets so I'm dive in and see what's up.

Hopefully I can keep my nitrates and po4 in check.

My syringe pump is coming in soon. After that I'm start stocking up on gorgs.

Keeping my current gorg open and feeding it by hand is bull$hit.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

yea... you crazy.. Im not gonna do nps unless i do automatic. Im not trying to do all that bs.

not suppose to run biopellets with uv.... but i guess same with ozone. As long as you got places for the bacteria to grow it should be ok.

Comment

yeah, NPS is whack if you don't have the equipment to back it up.

The main reason why I want to get bio pellets is so I can cut back my water change to once a week.

With the syringe pump and the bio pellet set-up I should be good.....I hope.
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

you just need more water volume. Biopellets works, but your bioload gonna be too high foo. I ran 500ml which was suppose to be enough for 100g tank, but i still had prob with p04

Comment

My nirtates are not too too bad.

highest it gets is upper 15-20ppm after 4 days.

I don't think my acans would like being in 20+ nitrates for too long (but I haven't tried it).

Also, Mike was way over feeding in his elos mini.

I'm think if I feed my NPS corals 1/2 as much as him, then the corals would still live but grow slower.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

the acans are alright, but my no3 was like 0 all the time. You know what reactor you gonna get? I still think them avast marine reactors are some bada$$ looking reactors.

so biopellets might help with no3, i dunno about p04. I heard people do really good with mb7 + vodka/vinegar or "biofuel"
                  Last edited by soymilk; 01-10-2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I'm run my reactor inside the sump.

For some reason I still like the RO reactor and bio pellet package form BRS.

I don't really need my levels to be zero. Actually if I could, I would prefer for it to just be a little dirty.

The softies and LPS would like it better I'm guessing.

I'm hoping 500ml of bio pellets is all I need.

Should be a lot less huh?

I mean damn, I only have about 20-25g of water.
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

500 is alot.... thats enough for 100g tank. You only got like 18-20g total volume. I was thinking more like 100-200mL for you tank. The more you have the harder it is to tumble.

the brs reactor isn't gonna be up til 4-1-11. They have problems with the biopellet mold, and since you don't have to refill or do any kinda maintance. I likes the avastmarine better. If its carbon or gfo, the brs one makes more sense.

I started off with about 250mL in my elos. Then i was like.... wth... imma just pour all this stuff in, cus its not like its gonna hurt....

jacked up my stuff. The pellets started channeling water so some areas wouldn't tumble. Then i put a mj1200 on there sucker and the next day my tank had all types of cyano n junk. so i dunno man. I think its better to just play it safe then over do it on the bp.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                        I'm run my reactor inside the sump.

For some reason I still like the RO reactor and bio pellet package form BRS.

I don't really need my levels to be zero. Actually if I could, I would prefer for it to just be a little dirty.

The softies and LPS would like it better I'm guessing.

I'm hoping 500ml of bio pellets is all I need.

Should be a lot less huh?

I mean damn, I only have about 20-25g of water.
                        One word: PURIGEN

Comment

Trung,

lol, yeah. I'm not dumping it all at once.

I was planning to only add 20-25ml at a time.

And I don't mean BRS's bio-pellet reactor.

I mean RO (reef octopus) reactor from BRS. It was out of order last week.

BRS's reactor look cheesy to me.
                          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by mgarrido View Post
                            One word: PURIGEN

O, miggy. You got to get on this bio-pellet stuff.

Purigen got nothing on it.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

damn son... oh yea.. those suckers are nice. That reactor was designed from LSS outta japan. They make good stuff. I saw a video of that reactor and it works badass. Much better than the reactor i had. Seems like it pressurises the bottom and its tapered at the bottom so it continually tumbles all the pellets.

I wanted one but they where crazy priced outta japan. like 300-400 bucks. Glad to see chinese production kick in and lower the price. very nice find.

check out this overflow they made outta a block of solid acrylic.... awesomeness.
                              When we saw these images of the upcoming Reef Octopus overflow box, we were excited and puzzled at the same time. From the onset it looks like Reef Octopus is taking a little different approach than…

Comment

Working...
                              X