cory and blood worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cory and blood worms

I have some cory cats in my discus tank. Ever weekend I feed them some blood worms as a treat. I then find a dead cory a few days later. the cory usually has some red around the abdomen, but looks very skinny.

Are cory cats not able to eat the blood worms?
    Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
    29 gal (Planted Puffer)
    10 gal (snails and small planted)
    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

What type of substrate do you have in your tank?? Are there any sharp edges to the gravel? Or do you have sand?

Comment

no they can eat bloodworms just fine, that sunds like possibly being attacked, or starved, idk, but the bloodworms they can definatly eat.
      FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

cory cats die often...how tall is your tank. I find that every time I put cory cats in a tank over 24" they tend to die for some reason. Not sure if there is a scientific reason for this...
        250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

The tank in 30" tall. I think they are just not eating for some reason. The other cories are very fat.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
          5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Bloodworms are crap. Fish love em but they offer little to no nutrition to their diet. Brine shrimp are better in my opinion.
            If it ain't wild caught
            You ain't doing it right

Comment

I feed my bottom dwellers tetra min tabs or aqueon bottom feeder tablets.

For frozen food i've gone to hikari frozen krill.

Comment

Frozen krill is another really good food. Might be too big for cories and Discus. Anybody had any luck?
                If it ain't wild caught
                You ain't doing it right

Comment

I agree with Frex. Blood worms are garbage. There is much more nutritional food.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by FrontosaurusRex View Post
                    Frozen krill is another really good food. Might be too big for cories and Discus. Anybody had any luck?
                    There are a couple of types. I buy the cubes and break them down as i feed.

Good stuff. They also make a kind with spirulina. Haven't looked for it yet.

Comment

If you find Spirulina Krill...please let me know.

Sorry for junking up the thread...
                      If it ain't wild caught
                      You ain't doing it right

Comment

If you find Spirulina Krill...please let me know.

Sorry for junking up the thread...
                        If it ain't wild caught
                        You ain't doing it right

Comment

I have read that corydoras will suffocate in a tank that is too deep. Being obligate breathers, they must breath air periodically, and not just rely on their gills. I am sure you have seen them shoot to the surface for gulps of air. However, I have seen corys in some pretty tall tanks around town and they seem to do just fine.

Comment

My corys eat bloodworms once or twice a day and I have not lost a cory or any other fish for months. I have read that corydoras will suffocate in a tank that is too deep. Being obligate breathers, they must breath air periodically, and not just rely on their gills. I am sure you have seen them shoot to the surface for gulps of air. However, I have seen corys in some pretty tall tanks around town and they seem to do just fine. Perhaps these tall tanks have rock or wood where the corys can stop and rest half way to the surface. Also, and I am sure you have been told this, check your ammonia levels.

Comment

Found another dead cory today. I have seen the corys swim to the top and grab air. It is only the Leopard Cory that are dieing. my skunk corys are doing great. All my other fish are fine (tetras, skunk cory, amano shrimp, Discus. My levels are fine (ammonia, nitrate)

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                              5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Working...
                              X