discus eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discus eggs

I have had my discus for about 2 weeks now. I have had 2 separate pairs lay eggs twice (4 egg lays total with 2 each). I don't care if they hatch as it is a pain to raise discus. My concern is, is this too much stress on the fish to keep laying eggs? I don't want them to stress them selves to death trying to lay eggs and hatch them.
    Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
    29 gal (Planted Puffer)
    10 gal (snails and small planted)
    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

no, they could care less about the eggs. They might not even be getting fertalized by a male. I used to have discus females lay eggs in the tank in order to compete with the other one...I guess a dominance thing. This happened often while I was working with Dan at HAW.
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

thanks, i was also worried about leaching of nutrients in the fish from laying eggs. Do they not loose nutrients from laying so many eggs?
      Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
      29 gal (Planted Puffer)
      10 gal (snails and small planted)
      5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Laying the eggs isn't stressful, but babies constantly eating the slime coat of the parents is. If the eggs hatch, let the babies feed on the parents for about 2 weeks, then remove them to a separate tank. Once the babies get bigger, they will still try to eat off the parents, until they are literally puling scales off the parents. I'll raise them for you if you dont want them.
        75 planted (Being Renovated)
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

one they start laying eggs.. they tend not to grow as much.. and if you keep them spawning and spawning.. they can lose muscle mass/size..

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
          N.A.D.A Facebook
          Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Working...
          X