Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it's getting cold, stop feeding your koi

hi everyone!

wanted to remind everyone that feeding koi at temps below 50-55F is not beneficial but rather harmful to your koi.

i checked my water temps and it was 47F today. the koi were swimming around and active. they appeared to want some food.

but at temps below 55F, their gut is actually unable to metabolize foods. they will want to eat but that food may rot in their gut as the bacteria that helps with the digestion is inactive.

their appetites are not as great either so the uneaten food will decay and cause water issues during the winter.

i have not fed my koi since end of november and will not feed until mid to late march (depending on when water temps get and maintain above 60F).

don't think you are doing your koi a favor or helping them out by feeding them bits of food. the koi in japan do not get any food from october to may unless they are in heated tanks (this is done to grow bigger koi for sales).

you can also unplug your UV lights now as their isn't enough sunlight to promote algae growth.

continue doing 10% water changes weekly through the winter as koi still produce ammonia during their respiration.

happy koi keeping!
    Duc
    Dallas Koi Kichi Group (www.dallaskoikichi.org)
    Houston ZNA Moto Kara Koi Kai (www.mkk-zna.org)
    IKONA (www.koishack.com)
    No Showa Left Behind
    Friendship Through Scales
    Proud Subscriber/Support of KOI USA, the official magazine of The AKCA (www.akca.org)
Working...
X