Building A Sump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building A Sump

I'm going to build the sump for my 56 gallon in the next day or so. The tank I would like to use has had Clout used in it. Is Clout reef safe? If not, should I go buy a different tank? I don't really want to but will if I have to.

The layout I'm thinking of using is having the drain come in to a baffled section with live rock, then a fuge section with a DSB/mangroves/macro/liverock, then a bubble trap baffle and a sponge/purigen/carbon in the last section. I may or may not add a skimmer to the first section at a later time and I'm not sure how much live rock I will actually have in the sump until I'm done scaping. Suggestions?
    135 gal Fahaka Puffer
    150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
    185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

FYI, I have a saltwater sump selling for as much as you will spend on your new building sump. Let me know what you think.
    100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
    30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

I would advise against a dsb for a sump. Could be more trouble than it's worth. Also no mangroves in a glass sump. The roots could grow and eventually break the glass.

I think the main reason I use a sump is to have a skimmer lol.

Comment

I had forgotten about that with mangroves. Ok, so I'll do a macroalgae sump and leave a spot to add a skimmer when I can get one. The main reason I want a sump is to add water volume, have a place to separate stuff out if I need to, and to have the flow I can get from a sump pump without having 10 powerheads in the tank.

Any word on the Clout?
        135 gal Fahaka Puffer
        150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
        185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

Personally I like a bunch of powerheads more. You get a ton more coverage and you can direct the flow. I'm not sure what kinda overflow you have but most around that tank size don't support more than 1000gph. Two decent power heads will give you more flow and coverage. Not to mention less noise.

I wouldn't risk it with clout. Since it kills inverts, but you could just run a lot of carbon for a while. 10-20g tanks are cheap though.

Comment

I've got a MJ900 and a MJ1200 that are going to go in it already. I wanted to get away from the AC70 HOB but without it or a sump I don't have any place to put carbon etc. I might could make little media baskets for the maxijets, hrmmm. I'll have to look into that. I was going to make a 1" PVC overflow so it would do about 600 gph which is all I was going to run anyway.

I've got extra 10 gallon tanks laying around. I think one or two hasn't had clout in it before, lol. I bought them like that I swear! I thought 10 gallons might be a little small but I can always upgrade my sump to a taller one when I get a skimmer.
            135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

A single 1" drain is able to handle 1000gph, but anything over 300gph makes a bit of noise. Maybe I just suck at running drain lines.

What's the dimensions of the tank?

Carbon is best if you run it thru a reactor. Something cheap like a Brs reactor works great. That or ghetto rig it in a mesh bag and just throw it in the sump. I currently run my carbon in a mesh bag at the moment.

Comment

yup, number one reason for a sump is the skimmer.

*** the DSB.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by BeefyG View Post
                  I've got a MJ900 and a MJ1200 that are going to go in it already. I wanted to get away from the AC70 HOB but without it or a sump I don't have any place to put carbon etc. I might could make little media baskets for the maxijets, hrmmm. I'll have to look into that. I was going to make a 1" PVC overflow so it would do about 600 gph which is all I was going to run anyway.

I've got extra 10 gallon tanks laying around. I think one or two hasn't had clout in it before, lol. I bought them like that I swear! I thought 10 gallons might be a little small but I can always upgrade my sump to a taller one when I get a skimmer.
                  I hate MJ1200! They always heat up my tank at least 1-2 deg. I wouldn't even bother doing a small sump. Its gonna be a pain in the butt. Because you have to factor in the amount of water when it back siphons. When i shut off the power to my tank, about 2-3 gallons goes back into the sump. Using a 10g, you could risk flooding the sump when power goes out. secondly, im not sure how big your return area in the sump will be. But my 55 gallon evaps about .5 gallons a day, my return area was tiny... with a small sump, the return will be small too.... less wiggle room before the return pump starts blowing air into your display.

Comment

Lol Thai... I get it... no DSB! Bad boy! No reef for you!

The tanks dimensions are 30 x 18 x 24. So whats a good sump size for that? I was going to use a 30g tall but thats the clout tank. 20g tall? I heard the 1$ a gallon sale is coming up so I could wait for that. I was hoping to add a ATO to the sump too bc topping off my 20L is a pain. I could use the 20L but I think its too short. Same problem with a 10g.
                    135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

Originally posted by BeefyG View Post
                      Lol Thai... I get it... no DSB! Bad boy! No reef for you!

The tanks dimensions are 30 x 18 x 24. So whats a good sump size for that? I was going to use a 30g tall but thats the clout tank.

I would go with the 30g. I run carbon any ways so it's all good. I honestly think it's a non-issue with the clout thing.

20g tall? I heard the 1$ a gallon sale is coming up so I could wait for that. I was hoping to add a ATO to the sump too bc topping off my 20L is a pain.

Regardless of the size of the sump, you should be able to fit an ATO in there.

I could use the 20L but I think its too short. Same problem with a 10g.
                      Go big or go home bro.

I would answer these questions in this order.

1) What type of coral do i want to keep?

2) How many fishes do I want to keep?

3) How much feedings for coral and/or fish do i want to do?

4) How many water changes do I want to do and at what percentage?

5) What kind of skimmer do I want to get?

6) Which sump size will allow me to fit that skimmer in it?
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                        Go big or go home bro.

I would answer these questions in this order.

1) What type of coral do i want to keep?
                        2) How many fishes do I want to keep?
                        3) How much feedings for coral and/or fish do i want to do?
                        4) How many water changes do I want to do and at what percentage?
                        5) What kind of skimmer do I want to get?
                        6) Which sump size will allow me to fit that skimmer in it?
                        1) softies and some LPS
                        2) green mandarin, green chromis school, and green clown goby
                        3) not much. I'm ok with feeding pellets to fish but target feeding corals is something I only do when I'm bored.
                        4) 10% weekly
                        5) no clue. the nanoreef hasn't had one and has done ok. I haven't even looked to be honest
                        6) I just realized I had nerites in the 30g between when I treated with Clout and now. They were in there for several months so I think the 30 will be ok to use. Thats the biggest sump possible I can get under there.
                        135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

Skimmer isn't needed but helps out tremendously if you have a lot of fish or feed phytoplankton to the corals. Basically it takes out little uneatten food particles and fish poop out of the water before they get a chance to degrade into phosphate and nitrate.

Puts less strain on the rest of your filtration.

Be careful with getting that green mandarin. If you get it local, ask the fts to feed it frozen food first before buying. 50g tank will not produce enough pods to sustain a full size mandarin. I've seen a mandarin starve itself it death in a 200+ gallon tank.

Comment

The mandarin has been in my 20L for a couple months now.

It was a good deal and I was told it eats mysis. I squirt mysis at it when I feed my corals and plan to start jar feeding it or something so I can be sure its eating it. I'm considering getting a jar of the red copepods and dumping them in the 56 when i get it set up to get another population going. As it is, I still have copepods on the glass on my 20L so hes OK for now. One of the main reasons for the upgrade was to provide for him better.

So I have a question about the sand. I have no idea of the history behind the sand I got for free except it came out of an established reef. I definitely want to transfer over the seafloor special that is in my 20L right now. Would it be better to add more new seafloor special or save the money and mix my established seafloor special with the mystery sand? I'm leaning towards the mix but wanted to ask in case theres a reason not to.
                            135 gal Fahaka Puffer

Comment

Used sand is iffy IMO. How have you been keeping it "alive"?

Also phosphate is known to bind to sand over a long period of time. That's why some reefer change out their sand every 3-4 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X