Why odd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why odd

I am about to start stocking my discus tank and can not find any logical reason why people say to get an odd number of fish. I am planning 7-9 fish. would like 8 since I can get 2 varieties with 4 of each. but to go odd would mean 4 and 5 of each. Is there anyone who can explain why the odd number.

Oh, they will be in a 110 gal tank
    Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
    29 gal (Planted Puffer)
    10 gal (snails and small planted)
    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

I hadnt heard that before. I wouldnt worry about it. It has to be a superstition because their isnt a logical reason for it. Though I do have to say every time I had 10 discus one would die and leave me with 9.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I've been told it before. I'm not sure why either. Get one of a different color like yellow or white and yell "freak!" every time you pass by the tank. I've heard the whites can sometimes pick up pigment from tetra colorbits though if that is what you are feeding. Or maybe that was albinos...
      135 gal Fahaka Puffer
      150 gal Threadfin Acaras, Angels, Red Spotted Severum, Gold Severum, and a Silver Dollar
      185 gal Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Venustus, Rustys, Plecos, Clown Loaches, and Sharks

Comment

I think it is supposed to look more natural.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

So there is no health benefit?
          Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
          29 gal (Planted Puffer)
          10 gal (snails and small planted)
          5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

No health benefit. But how natural when you got man made variants?
            Resident fish bum
            330G FOWLR
            34G Reef
            330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
            28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

The whole odd number is a result of someone's crackpot theory that somehow there is a magic number in each school of discus such that the runt doesn't get picked on all the time... this is of course a bunch of nonsense.

The best way to ensure that the runt does not get picked by any one dominant fish is to keep a group of at least 5-6 so that the aggression by the dominant one is spread out.

I think the myth probably came about because people would advocate "a group of at least 5" and somehow "5" being an odd number somehow morphed into "and odd number group"... but that's just my own crackpot theory... makes sense though...
              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

5-6 minimum.. but more is better.. they are a schooling fish.. more number makes them more comfortable

North American Discus Association, Secretary (N.A.D.A.)
                N.A.D.A Facebook
                Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Comment

Working...
                X