Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer habitat

Hey everyone,

Setting up tank for a GSP - wanted feedback as to what you've found that they really enjoy and makes them happy! Thanks!
    Thanks so much,
    Lydia
    409-499-1279

Wow - nothing? No cool ideas to keep them investigating things? Oooooooooooooooook
    Thanks so much,
    Lydia
    409-499-1279

Comment

I've only kept the larger puffers (mbu, fahaka), but I'm sure any decor with driftwood/rocks/plants with a sandy bottom would suffice. Whatever your taste is, go for it! I'm sure the 'sperts will chime in soon. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
        I've only kept the larger puffers (mbu, fahaka), but I'm sure any decor with driftwood/rocks/plants with a sandy bottom would suffice. Whatever your taste is, go for it! I'm sure the 'sperts will chime in soon. Good luck!!
        Hey thanks. Yeah, got the basics - i was just hoping someone had some "cool" ideas.........oh well, I'll figure it out! It's a busy time for everyone right now! Merry Christmas!
        Thanks so much,
        Lydia
        409-499-1279

Comment

Hi Lydia. I would also like to see some of the puffer setup's. We have a small Fahaka. Really neet little guy. He's only in a 10gal for now just because of his size. We have a sandy bottom for him that he loves to bury himself in. Eats like a horse. But, nothing really fancy. Imagirlgeek has got a few puff's herself. Maybe she can post some pics of her tank's.
          Lori's husband Bill.

Comment

Well, I was going to use sand for substrate, but then read online that they also like crushed coral. Understand the coral of course bringing up the brackish levels......but also read that they like to bury in sand - so kinda torn which way to go. Feedback ???????

PS : I set him up some clear tunnels in a maze like design with openings into caves, etc.....so he can "explore" to his little heart's content and I'll change it up every now and then to give him new adventures! hahah
            Thanks so much,
            Lydia
            409-499-1279

Comment

I kept a GSP for a while and I liked keeping him in a smaller tank ( ~20-25 gallon cube). It was sand, driftwood and small nice fake plants. These guys dont need a big tank, and in my opinion the smaller the tank, the easier to clean and the the cheaper to decorate and you can get a little more creative with small decorations that can be moved around to make different looks. I always kept an open spot in the front to showcase the eating because that is what everyone likes to see.

Comment

GSP- Tetraodon Nigroviridis get to be 5-6 inches- a baseball with a sharp beak. The pH should be high 8 or so and they do better at least brackish or marine salinities. They are messy eaters and a short gut- in other words a high bioload. If you want to raise them to be impressive specimens I suggest at least 50 gallon tank (you can start with a 15 gallon if they are about an inch but they will get big). Get a either one only or a group of several individuals. That will diffuse the agression. A tank dedicated to raising snails is a good idea. They keep their teeth filed down and they provide a good source of protien. Best to learn as much as you can before getting them. And by the way they can BITE. Substrate is not a big deal for these guys aslong as it doenot drop the pH and hardness of the water and it can be cleaned easily. They don't bury themselves like some puffers, they are openwater swimers. If you've seen the movie Jurassic Park, where the cute little dinosaur comes up to the people and looks at them and then suddenly starts taking bites...Thats how they feed. They love crayfish, shrimp , minnows, snails, fingers ect.
                Emerald Green Rainbowfish
                Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I've never had any GSPs, but I can tell you that our Fahakas, Mbu, and Avocado don't really care what they have to explore...they just like having open water and one little cave-like area to sleep. But the SAPs get a bit bored without driftwood and plants. Our tanks are really nothing fancy...but I have noticed that nothing entertains them more than being able to watch people. )
                  Our Fishhouse
                  Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've got it all setup now, and have his snail tank hidden below. Now just have to find my lil "Dexter".....hahaha
                    Thanks so much,
                    Lydia
                    409-499-1279

Comment

Working...
                    X