My First Puff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Puff

Okay I kinda jumped into this. I have always wanted Puffers and have been keeping fish for many years but never Puffers. I never buy fish at Wal-Mart but when I saw them I figured that they had a better chance with me then the average customer, so I bought 4 green spotted puffers.

I have been doing my homework and know that I will need a large tank and marine water soon, fish are a good 2in from store. I've had them 2 days and started with just a brackish water but I'm going to try switching them to Marine water soon. If anyone has some good pointers on making the transfer or any help it would be appreciated.

Also I only had a salt water for a short time maybe 15 years ago and in general only keep African Cichlids and Catfish. After reading up on these guys I might need a little luck too.

GSP...i don think thing full salt water is absolutely a must...
    after all brackish is what most people uses even with adult size GSP...
    now i have seen a few people keeping GSP in salt water tank...they are also doing good...
    just depends on what you like, brackish will save you some money on the salt mix tho..

Comment

Thanks, thats good to know because I really didn't want to put them in a full salt water tank. I'm going to see how things in the brackish water.

Comment

Hmmmm I thought those cute lil buggers didn't play well with others??????????? You have all 4 in one tank?
        Thanks so much,
        Lydia
        409-499-1279

Comment

I did read that they don't do well with most tankmates and each other. I read that if you are to try and keep more than one together then they should be young and grow up together. I read 30 gallons per a fish is good and so a 125gal should do it for 4 of them. I'm also prepared to seperate them if they begin to show any issues with them being together. I can try the 4 in a 180 gal or 2 each in 125 gals, or 120 gals, or 90gal . If it really gets to the point that none can go together then I guess they can go 1 each in either a 55, 65, or 75gal. Also I could try a 8ft 300 gal tank but I'm saving that for some of my Petrochromis groups.

I am open to hearing peoples pass experience with GSP and if anyone has kept more then 1 together it would be great to hear about your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by joesfish View Post
            I did read that they don't do well with most tankmates and each other. I read that if you are to try and keep more than one together then they should be young and grow up together. I read 30 gallons per a fish is good and so a 125gal should do it for 4 of them. I'm also prepared to seperate them if they begin to show any issues with them being together. I can try the 4 in a 180 gal or 2 each in 125 gals, or 120 gals, or 90gal . If it really gets to the point that none can go together then I guess they can go 1 each in either a 55, 65, or 75gal. Also I could try a 8ft 300 gal tank but I'm saving that for some of my Petrochromis groups.

I am open to hearing peoples pass experience with GSP and if anyone has kept more then 1 together it would be great to hear about your experience.
            OH, I was just curious. I love the puffers, had one long time ago. Really want another one, but hate to devote a whole tank to one fish! But may do it anyway! Good luck - they are darling little demons!
            Thanks so much,
            Lydia
            409-499-1279

Comment

Thanks, I have always wanted a large one and the GSP don't get that big so i will devote a few tanks if needed.

Comment

GSP are great puffers. You can if you prefer go completely marine or keep them in brackish water. There are lots and lots of articles arguing for both, just make sure you use the salt for making saltwater. I had one awhile back and it got pretty big, about the 4 inches, but they can get to 6 inches. Below is a link to a great article about GSPs you might like. Just make sure you vary their diet and give them lots of vitamins. Congrats!!

GSP article
                Merritt Adkins
                Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
                Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
                The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

Working...
                X