Been thinking about getting another puffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been thinking about getting another puffer

I have a dwarf puffer in my community tank and I have been thinking about dedicating a tank to a larger one. Has anyone seen any nice ones at LFSs

What size tank? Do you want freshwater only or brackish? Or maybe even saltwater?

If you want selection and you want it local, I'd say go saltwater. I often see some very nice marine puffers/triggerfish at the Fish Gallery.

They recently had a Valentini puffer and I wished I had a tank for it. I would have snatched it up fast.
    Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

Comment

HAW has freshwater pea puffers in stock

Comment

The OP already has one and wants something bigger, as well.
        Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Comment

Thanks guys, I was looking for a freshwater and for a 35 gallon. I ended up picking up an Abei puffer today from Fish gallery. He is swimming around well and exploring his new home. I think he is eating some frozen brine shrimp. I was thinking about supplementing with some ghost shrimp and frozen krill. Does anyone have any experience with these particular guys?

Comment

I haven't had one, but it's fed similarly to other puffers of its size. Frozen bloodworms are very good. Gut load a ghost shrimp and see if it'll go for it or leave it alone. Frozen prawn is a good choice if the puffer is big enough. An occasional earthworm or very occasional cricket.

Whatever else you try, though, make sure you give it snails. Depending on how fast its "beak" grows, you'll need to provide them usually once or twice a week. For an Abei, you'll want pond snails or very small ramshorn. You want to avoid others whose shells are a bit too hard.

By the way, I'm jealous. :P

Comment

thanks,

My planted tank is infested with MTS snails, and I initially planned to use them, but everything I have read says not to do so. I am slowly convincing my fiance that snail tank is required...but, do you just put live snails in the tank. This seems a little risky for a snail infestation. My puffer is eating well, but he gets distracted by me and does not always hunt right away.

Comment

I know what you mean about not hunting because you're too interesting, lol. It's kind of cute, isn't it?

Still, drop a single snail in and sit back. Chances are good that the puffer will get excited and go for it immediately. If not, sit back for a while and watch. If, after the puffer goes back to hunting, it doesn't go for the snail, then take it out. But I'd be very surprised if that happened. I find it impossible to have a snail infestation in a puffer tank of any kind. Even dwarf puffers, though they slurp it out, rather than crunch the shells (good thing they don't need to like most puffers).

Comment

Working...
                X