filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filter

What happens when you use a 4000 gph pump with a filter that says max flow rate is 2500

10g Community Planted Aquarium
    10g-CRS Planted Aquarium
    55g Saltwater Aquarium-
    20gH-Angelfish Planted Aquarium
    20gL-Leopard Gecko

A 13 Year Old Teen Who Loves his animals!!
    YOUTUBE: Michael15551

Comment

Originally posted by koi View Post
      What happens when you use a 4000 gph pump with a filter that says max flow rate is 2500
      What kind of filter are you talking about?

Canister?

Wet/dry?

Sponge?
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Pond canister

Comment

Should be all good.

how big is the canister?
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Not sure but the max flow rate is said to be 2500 gph but the pump im planning to use is 4000gph

Comment

on a canister i would think that would cause some bad pressure problems. since the output/input is not design to handle that much flow.
              25g - Reef
              3.5g - Surge Tank
              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Oh ok well its a pond canister just letting you know'

Comment

How does a regular tank caniser work? My friend is taking down his tank and giving me one

Comment

Are you saying a cannister with a pump built in added in combination with a second pump?
                    or
                    Are you proposing a filter rated for 2,500 with a pump rated for 4,000?

I think you are proposing the second scenario. Keep in mind that a pump rated for 4,000 gph generally means that you can get 4,000 gph with no lift or static rise and no other restrictions. I sincerely doubt that you will get anything close to 4,000 once you added the various losses including a filter. Also, once you get any debris, etc in the filter the flow rate will continue to fall. It might work, but you haven't really given us enough information.

If you have both pieces of equipment, I can tell you an easy test to run to determine your actual flow in gph.
                    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
                    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
                    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
                    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
                    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

Will be getting canister filter (not sure how it works yet). Have 500 gph pump. Need/want pond pressurized filter rated for 2500 gph and want pump rated for 4000 gph

Comment

Working...
                      X