Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tricks for getting Red Cherry Shrimp to breed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricks for getting Red Cherry Shrimp to breed?

Anyone want to share any tricks to breeding these guys? I have had moderate success, but it has been sparse....
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

What do you mean by sparse?

I've always found that more water changes = more babies. Adding some calcium at each water change seems to help, as well.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
      What do you mean by sparse?

I've always found that more water changes = more babies. Adding some calcium at each water change seems to help, as well.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
      Would African cichlid salts work for this?
      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

I don't do anything at all and they breed like crazy.

Comment

Its that clean water Jim

Comment

You think I have a lot of shrimp? My brother has 30g Cube and the whole floor is covered in shrimp stacked on top of each other. That was my old shrimp tank.

Comment

I put a cuttlebone in each shrimp tank for calcium. For water changes, I put a knee-hi over the end of the gravel vac so as not to suck up the shrimp fry. I do weekly 50 to 75% partials on the shrimp tanks. Good variety of food along with the aforementioned seems to work like Luther Vandross music.

Mark
              What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
                I put a cuttlebone in each shrimp tank for calcium. For water changes, I put a knee-hi over the end of the gravel vac so as not to suck up the shrimp fry. I do weekly 50 to 75% partials on the shrimp tanks. Good variety of food along with the aforementioned seems to work like Luther Vandross music.

Mark
                Mark - Can you elaborate on "good variety of food"? Also, are you talking about a cuttlebone that you put in a bird cage?
                Jarrod - Houston, Texas
                150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
                17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
                5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
                3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
                  Mark - Can you elaborate on "good variety of food"? Also, are you talking about a cuttlebone that you put in a bird cage?
                  Yup, same cuttlebone that's used for birds... boil it first and it sinks to the bottom, otherwise tie to a rock to keep it down. As for food, I feed flake, spirulina flakes, algae wafers, tetra color bits, NLS micro, fresh zucchini and fresh cucumber; all alternated throughout the week.

Mark
                  What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

What do you have planted in the tank?

I have had really good luck with my shrimp reproducing in Java Moss. The young tend to hide out in the moss but once they get to descent size they roam around the aquarium and hang out in the other plants in my tank. I have patches of java moss tied down to petrified wood, the more the moss grew the more shrimp I saw. They graze on algae in the moss and other plants but also scavenge flake and granular food.

Comment

Working...
                    X