Ich Problem any comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ich Problem any comments?

sooo, my reef tank has ich and all species of fish are infected here are some considerations to solve the problem and if you guys have any other ideas or input then lmk

1)Quarantine all fish (quite a pain considering all the live rock and corals i have and the steps it takes to get them, i am a rather experience fish catcher but its still such a stress, i have used food enticing traps in the past to catch fish with success so still an option) and treat with either quick cure or copper safe

2)Add those "reef safe" treatments that are available on the market but yet never really have any success, but if you know of one that works immanently LMK!

3)Take a more natural route and lower salinity and increase the temperature despite my corals (which are all pretty "hardy softies" ((lol i think i justcame up with an oxymoron?)) for the first place) and buy cleaner shrimps and wrasse's and hope they will take care of the mess. (early stages)

4) Install a UV sterilizer (in progress but i need a 9 watt uv bulb) and feed fish with food soaked in garlic extreme, to hopefully keep them eating and have a defensive immune system

5) see step: 1)

6) combine steps: 2) - 4) and pray?

saltwater ich is brutal :/
    "Is this freshwater or saltwater?"......

'ich attack' works and i think its reef safe.
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

+1 for cichlid. Q'ing all your fish is a bit ridiculous, not to mention stressful. You would probably lose as many from the stress+ich as you would from not treating the ich...

A UV only kills what is in the water, and ich gets in the substrate more so than even on the fish. UV's will help prevent an initial infection, but not cure one.
      75 planted (Being Renovated)
      Endlers
      gobies
      lots of nanos

Comment

I dunno about any ich medications that actually work. I think if there was such a product that worked 100% of the time and was reef safe.... It would be a huge thing and everyone would know about it and recommend it. Ich wouldn't even be an issue anymore.

The absolute best way is to qt all your fish and treat them with hypo or copper. It's recommended to qt and treat them for 8+ weeks to insure the Ich is gone. This also frees up your dt so if there's Ich in there with no host it dies out.

Increasing tempature only works with freshwater Ich. If you want to try the hypo in your display tank all your inverts and coral will die. To successfully do hypo, you'd have to run your tank at 1.008-1.009 for extended periods of time. No coral will make it thru that. You will crash your tank if you do that.

I had ich, I fed my fish well, made sure water quality was good and the Ich went away. Is it still in my tank? Who knows, but my fish are happy and eating so I try not to worry about it til something happens. How bad is the outbreak? How many fish? Pictures? How big is the tank?

Comment

Ich

I don't really have a lot to offer except for what I went thru ...

I had a 72G tank, 4 ft long. My blue hippo had ich, I tried water change, better food ... but eventually all of the fish caught ich and most died except for the very hardy ones. I cleaned out the whole tank and started over.

On another occasion, another blue hippo also got ich, I put it in a 10g, it seemed to cause more stress. I tried medication and followed the dosage recommended by the fish store, the fish died, probably from overdose.

I think you warranty to keep 1, 2 sick fish isolated so as not to spread the disease to others, if all of the fish has gotten sick, warranty seems pointless.

Maybe if you can try to improve the water quality and food and hope the fish can get stronger and better by themselves.

I now have a 125G, 6' long. Plenty of room to swim, lots of rocks, many hiding places. I have fish that get along well so the weaker ones don't get stressed out. My skimmer works very well and it is the main force that improves my water quality. My fish, including a blue hippo, are very healthy.

I had a cleaner shrimp for many months, some fish allowed him to clean them but not that often. The shrimp died several months ago and it did not seem to change anything so I don't know if a cleaner shrimp is really needed.
          I soaked food in garlic for a while too but I has stopped doing that for months with no ill effect.

btw, from what I read, don't treat with copper.

Comment

Excuse me, I meant quarantine.

Comment

ich looks like its clearing up, thanks for the input guys, ive been doing small water changes, feeding regularly, and treating with ich attack (for the 2nd time)

its currently a 72 gallon bow front with
              - 2 eheim 2213's
              - "75" gallon euro skimmer with a mag 9.5
              - refugium with 4 types of macro algae, chaeto, prolifera, halmeada, and grapy stuff
              - micron sock
              - koralia 2 and maxi jets
              - 3100 lph rio, (came with it)
              and its just lOAded with corals i need to get some pics up here, but my camera sucks, cant get it right
              ive got :
              2 brains : a wellsophyllia and a cynarina or scolymia
              numerous zoas ex: fire and ice
              frogspawns, hammers and torches i love the uephyllia
              couple leathers
              2 galaxias
              giant shrooms etc it looks nice
              "Is this freshwater or saltwater?"......

Comment

Sounds like your on the right track. Water changes, especially large ones, tend to solve MOST problems with saltwater tanks.. I would keep doing weekly water changes and garlic soaked foods. I would grab a UV sterilizer, it will help kill off any of the free flotaing stuff and thats always good.
                My question to you is what kinds of bioload do you have in the reef tank? I'm assuming it's the 72 gal. Or what do you think caused the ick?
                Softie Reef

Comment

Working...
                X