How to do a water change with shrimp without sucking out the newborns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do a water change with shrimp without sucking out the newborns

Anyone have any tricks to share here? I siphon water into a white bucket so I can try to spot the little guys but my eyesight is less than perfect.

What is the secret to doing a water change without sucking the newborns up?
    Jarrod - Houston, Texas
    150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
    17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
    5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
    3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

I put a women's knee-hi on the gravel vac prior to the water change, held in place with a rubber band. Works great.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by wesleydnunder View Post
      I put a women's knee-hi on the gravel vac prior to the water change, held in place with a rubber band. Works great.

Mark
      Can you still get the "poo" out doing this?
      Jarrod - Houston, Texas
      150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
      17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
      5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
      3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
        Anyone have any tricks to share here? I siphon water into a white bucket so I can try to spot the little guys but my eyesight is less than perfect.

What is the secret to doing a water change without sucking the newborns up?
        I have to confess I do the same thing. ) And I also watch as I'm pouring the old water into the toilet, and stop pouring every once in a while to triple check.
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodaden View Post
          Can you still get the "poo" out doing this?
          The tiny shrimp poo, yes.

Mark
          What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
          X