Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of light ?

Hello ..

I am setting up a 65 G salt water tank. Water and salt were added about 2 weeks ago anh live rock was added this week...
    The tank is 36 inches x 18" x 24 so I can use a 36" long light fixture. But what type of light is good if I just want to keep a few fish and , maybe, some soft corals?
    I hear about 50/50 , T5 ... but stilll clueless
    Thank you very much for your advice.

I would say you can't go wrong with a T5-HO (high output) light. I in fact have a 36" Hagen GLO T5 setup that I like ( I have 2 dual 36" fixtures). You have to make 1 very strong decision though, if you plan on keeping soft corals such as zooanthids, xenia and mushrooms, you will probably only need a dual light fixture. However, what normally happens is that you see some LPS (large polyp stony) coral you like and then you have to upgrade to at least a 4 bulb fixture or retrofit setup. So my advise is that if you plan on keeping ANY coral you might go ahead and buy a 4 bulb fixture or retrofit setup because if not, you will end up spending more money when you need to upgrade having already spent $ on a 2 bulb setup and then having to buy another fixture.

On the other hand, if this is your first saltwater tank, make it easier on yourself and buy some regular floresent setup. Then later when you feel confident with saltwater parameters, you can put together a nano tank of about 20 gallons and then the lighting will come cheaper and you can house nothing but corals and maybe a fish or 2 with lots of interesting invertebrates.
    Softie Reef

Comment

Hello Snoolfish,
      Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will check out some fixtures and come back with more questions !
      Thanks

Comment

4 bulb T5HO. From my understanding, a 2 bulb T5 will not adequately reach the bottom for coral/anemone growth.

Comment

Thank you , Snookfish and everyone..
          I got a Glo 36", T5 HO , 29 watts white and 29 watts blue. Very nice and bright, I really like it !!
          By the way, that Fishland on Weitheimer is very impressive, so clean, spotless and the price is so good. My favorite store

Comment

I personally like Metal Halides. they are more expensive but the shimmer effect alone is well worth the extra cost. Also you really need metal halides if you want to grow some really nice SPS colonies.

I feel coral grow alot faster under metal halides than t5ho but then again I only have used t5ho twice on old setups.
            -John
            90 Gallon Reef Tank

Comment

Working...
            X