Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best substrate for pond

What is the best substrate for a pond.

I've read a lot about putting rocks in a pond, and if you are doing any fish it was not recommended. Basically it starts of looking nice but once it is covered in algae it will increase your maintenance or just not look very nice. For my troohs I added some large rocks about 12-18" diameter to the ledge. It is the same rocks I use in my troph tanks and it is as easy as pulling out about 12 rocks when I do what to clean.
    300+RR (8-10 ft x 30"x30") - Waiting to find it... Lake Tanganyikan
    225RR (72"x24"Wx29"H) DSA - Lake Tanganyikan WC Murago
    210RR (60"x24"Wx32"H) AGE - Lake Tanganyikan WC IN PROGRESS
    160RR 1/2 cylinder (60"x30"Wx30"H) AGE - Altum Biotope IN PROGRESS
    90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Rio Meta Biotope
    90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Lake Valencia Biotope

Comment

Agreed. No substrate.
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Oh since my 2ft pond is pretty shallow i can see the bottom and a black bottom isnt the nicest thing. But if i were to put substrate what would be the best?I dont have to worry about algae i can handle it but im wondering still would be the best substrate?Btw the pond is a preformed liner and its a straight drop

Comment

Originally posted by koi View Post
          Oh since my 2ft pond is pretty shallow i can see the bottom and a black bottom isnt the nicest thing. But if i were to put substrate what would be the best?I dont have to worry about algae i can handle it but im wondering still would be the best substrate?Btw the pond is a preformed liner and its a straight drop
          If you must put a substrate in, which will end up being more fuss and cleaning then anything, I recommend a pre-washed natural peagravel...Although...It makes cleaning a pain in a pond to have anything in the way of the vacuum or scrub brushes. But that JMO...
          BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

Ok so pea gravel it is.About I make it i keep hornwort and anacharis which im going to plant down

Comment

Ok so pea gravel it is.About I make it i keep hornwort and anacharis which im going to plant down
              Both those are not good for planting, Hornwort is a floating only, and anacharis can be planted but has to have established roots or it will rot away.

Comment

OK So what can i plant down that Is hardy andy legal?I like my pond heavily planted For my ghost shrimp and yes my koi do eat them but they keep their numbers up.

Comment

ANd at pets mart they have the hornwort planted.But ima listen to you and keep it floating

Comment

ANd at pets mart they have the hornwort planted.But ima listen to you and keep it floating
                    Water sprite, pennywort, Najas(floater will send roots eventually), mini water lillies, other floaters include frogbit, salvinia, duckweed...as for surrounding the pond, or planting a larger plant in a pot..elephant ear plants are great..I have some small starters if you want to try any.

Comment

Omg frogbit has such pretty flowers but at fish and pets they sell them 3 dollars a piece how fast do they multiply.And about the mini water lilies.I think i have one not so sure it may just be a regular lilie but i have this lilie thats unpotted and floats around and yes it does have the little seed like thing and there are roots

Comment

Frogbit looks like mini water lilies and have flowers right?If they are how fast do they multiply?

Comment

so this is a water garden and you will have some koi in there?

how many gallons?

suggest you put some sarasa or other goldfish in there if you want to keep fish. koi have specific needs.

if you want to keep healthy koi, do not put the gravel in there. not only is the gunk that builds up a mess to clean up, but the anerobic bacteria that reside in the gunk is what will cause your koi to be sick/die.
                          Duc
                          Dallas Koi Kichi Group (www.dallaskoikichi.org)
                          Houston ZNA Moto Kara Koi Kai (www.mkk-zna.org)
                          IKONA (www.koishack.com)
                          No Showa Left Behind
                          Friendship Through Scales
                          Proud Subscriber/Support of KOI USA, the official magazine of The AKCA (www.akca.org)

Comment

Oh ok i guess no gravel then.

Comment

So can anyone answer my question about frogbit?

Comment

Working...
                              X