Discus dream tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discus dream tank

Well, I had planned on a nice community tank with Angels and Discus with a few tetras and danios. My wife, during a discussion on what I want to buy for the tank, said she did not care what was in the tank as long as it had lots of discus.
    So, I am now building a discus tank. My question is what setup do I do? I have a 4ft long by 30" high 110 gal. What type of filtration, lighting, and decor should I use to make a natural discus tank? I was thinking wet/dry + small canister for filter, LED lights + moonlight, sand with some long skinny drift wood (root looking), and some easy/ low maintenance plant. This will be my first Discus tank and first plants outside of java moss. i have read about discus and think I can handle it, but want some first hand advice. Please advise, as I want to do it right the first time.
    Fishtafarian- Fish are more than just a hobby, they are an obsession.

110 gal Tall (Angel Community)
    29 gal (Planted Puffer)
    10 gal (snails and small planted)
    5 gal Hex (shrimp)

use nice fake plants...you can get the good ones at Fish Gallery, scrap the wet/dry and just use an Eheim 2260 for filtration. Discus tanks look best when only one species of discus is in the tank. too many colors and it just looks like a loud shirt. I actually prefer discus to be in a hardscape tank(no plants at all).
    250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

Most of what I have read said they like the root and plant habitat. I have also read that discus can be shy and like to have plants and such to hide behind. While i do not want a lot of different discus, I do not think I could just have one color. I like variety.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
      5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

I agree with newb. Discus and a hardscape (or with minimal plants) seems to work really well. Look at some of the tanks that others have made and decide what best suits you. We have plenty of discus keepers on this site.

I found it interesting that jeebus, Darbex, and wesleydnunder reduced (if not completely eliminated) the plants in the tank during the course of their journals. Mgarrido seems to be the only one still doing a planted tank with discus.

Dustin at HAW will prove to be a valuable resource as well.
        Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
        Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
        Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
        Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I am still working on this tank, and I have a lighting question. What type of lighting do Discus like? I have not found a good answer to this. I know they are shy, so would bright light not be good? Trying to decide between LED and brighter light.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
          5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Doesnt really matter...seriously, dont be too pampering with Discus and they will reward you for it. They are NOT as delicate as they are made out to be. Buy from a quality/healthy source and you will be fine. A Coralife T5 will look just fine and be cheapest. THe MarineLand LED are not very special on a 30" tank....if it were shorter I would recommend them.
            250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

don't want to waste money, but at the same time want to do it right. Would like to do the LED, but as stated the 30" depth worries me. Was thinking of making a home made metal ahlide or HPS, but not sure if I still need t-5 in conjunction. if so might as well just go t-5 only. just want to do this right the first time.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
              5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Discus don't really care for super-bright lighting. N.O. fluorescent will be fine for a low-light tank. You can still grow plants in it if you want. Are you planning to buy adults of grow out some juvies?

Mark
                Last edited by wesleydnunder; 09-15-2010, 10:00 AM.
                What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Tim - You forgot this one. One of my personal favorites.

Also, Dustin has done a nice job with the tank in his showroom at HAW.
                  Jarrod - Houston, Texas
                  150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
                  17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
                  5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
                  3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

Discus like lower light. I know mine are much happier when my morning and dusk lights are on. But it depends on what else is in the tank and the depth. Since I have swords and the depth of my tank is 36" I run 2 400W MH lights for about 6hrs. The remaining 4 - 6 hrs I am running 2 T12. So if you dont need the bright light then I would not go with it just to go with it.
                    Resident fish bum
                    330G FOWLR
                    34G Reef
                    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                    Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I would DEFINITELY use LED'S. I think the low light will look great. I am voting for the hard scape. Discus are easy to care for. A good diet..clean water...doesn't get much easier.
                      If it ain't wild caught
                      You ain't doing it right

Comment

Fronto,

Have you had Discus before? I really want to use the LED's but my tank is 30" tall. I am fine with not having some super light at the bottom, but I do want it to be lit. I am planning to use a very large piece of drift wood with round river stones, fake plants (don't want to deal with live) and sand bottom. Discus with community fish. Maybe an angel or two. Not sure if doubling the lights would help, but I was thinking 1 or 2 Marineland LED's larges size.

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                        5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Here it is

29 gal (Planted Puffer)
                          5 gal Hex (shrimp)

Comment

Very nice. Clean and simple. The LED'S would be great on that tank. I've kept Discus for short periods of time with success. Mark and Brian are the "Discus Dudes". Any advice from them is good advice. Congratulations on the super nice tank.
                            If it ain't wild caught
                            You ain't doing it right

Comment

Nice set up very simple I am sure your discus will love it. Did you go with LEDs? How many watts?
                              Resident fish bum
                              330G FOWLR
                              34G Reef
                              330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                              28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
                              X