Dwarf Gourami Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf Gourami Troubles

Does anyone in here have experience with dwarf gouramis? I have a community tank that started with 6 dawrf gouramis and I'm now down to one. I have 5 pearl and blue gouramis and they are doing great. They were eating fine with a healthy voracious appetite and then they just keel over. Anyone know why these fish just aren't making it?

Vince
    Last edited by Chef; 07-13-2010, 02:14 PM.
    Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

How big is the tank? What other fish are in there with them? Where did you get them? How long had you had them before they died; how long have you had the surviving ones? What's your maintenance schedule? Have you tested the water? What are you feeding, and how often?

:)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

The tank is a 55 gallon setup with lots of places to hide. It's in a community with about 15 mollies and platies, 4 cory cats, 2 black ghosts, 2 clown loaches, 3 small angels, 5 pearl, gold, and blue gouramis. I bought the gouramis from various places within 3 weeks of each other and the longest survivor has been in the tank 3 weeks. The water is good with everything being 0ppm Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia. The ph is about 7.5 to 8. I do a 25% water change every 2 weeks. I don't have too many messy fish. I've been feeding them a combination of tropical flake food and some blood worms. The black ghosts like the blood worms so the gouramis get a treat too. I have a feeling the the last survivor is not going to be too lucky. But as a whole, how hardy are those fish?

Chef~PIER 61 SEAFOOD

150G~discus and altums

Comment

my expericence with them over the years is that they tend to get constipated easily..........
        HALA MADRID!!!!

Comment

" I bought the gouramis from various places within 3 weeks of each other and the longest survivor has been in the tank 3 weeks."

Like most fish it's a good idea to quarantine. It's hard to say what the issue is, but while one fish may seem healthy at one store because it still may be a carrier for disease. Dwarfs gouramis are also very agressive fish, and will often fight (esp. males). Many of these fish are Asian bred, and may have been hormoned, which may factor into a shorter lifespan or possibly inferior health. I use to keep neon blue dwarfs and wild honeydews. The neon blues (C. lalia) are more tolerant of high pH, they also fight alot. They are very hardy. I had a group of about 9 in a 10 gallon without a filter, just tons of duckweed and driftwood (all from the same source). They bred constantly. I lost them in a move (forgot several bags of fish in a hot car for 2 hrs.) The wild honeydews (C.chuna) need soft very clean water, still pretty hardy. I put them in a tank with Blue opaline gouramis (Trichogaster trichopterus). Bad idea. They killed off my wild dwarfs.

Bottom line is gouramis are very hard for the most part. I'd suggest quarantine. One of the major ways I've killed off fish is skipping quarantine.
          Emerald Green Rainbowfish
          Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Working...
          X