Hungry Corals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungry Corals!

Im posting these pics of my corals feeding, because i know theres alot of people out there that buy zooplex, marine snow, and what not. Theres something cheaper..... Its called shrimp. I get shrimp from a local seller at the market that will keep beat up ugly shrimp for me. He cant sell ugly shrimp for people to eat. I been known to use some other products too, but i mainly just soak shrimp in a bowl of seachems reef plus. Then cut into small pieces and serve at room temp. Just about every lps and softy will eat. Fish will also eat so beware!. Heres some pics of candy canes, lobos, ric mushrooms, and even the small mouths of green star polyps will eat.

You can see in the pic above, that the head at the far right had its mouth open while the others dont. mouths on these corals can streach open as thick as a pencil, if not more.

Lobos can eat even bigger wads of food.

I generally feed the smaller corals like these zoas, the left over small peaces and the liquid left behind from cutting up the shrimp.

Heres a ric mushroom eating. As you can see it will swell up and close around the food, and later open up when its digested.
    75gal reef aka the $$$$ pit.

Beautiful pictures man that is cool to see that close up
    Custom Aquarium Cabinets Justin Henry 281-739-8723

Comment

Cool pictures as always!

You using a macro lens?
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

wow thats crazyyyy.... cant wait for my tank

Comment

no im just using a crappy cannon lens that i kept that came with my rebel 1 from back in the day.

Comment

Which lens?
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Its the 18-55 lens. Trick is to shoot at the lowest appropriate iso (400) with a low shutter (1/8) speed and mid aperture (11). If your subject is not moving then these settings should be fine. Also try to shoot straight into the tank. All this will help to keep the most detail in the shot. Then you can zoom in in photoshop. Most of these pics were brought in 50-75% .

Comment

OIC, thanks for the tips!

I normally just use my 50/1.8nikkor to take pictures of fish.

My corals picture taking skills suck.

I'm thinking of getting nikkon's macro lens soon.
                I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                X