Missing Platie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Platie

I moved my 10 platies, 2 cories,2Tetras and 1 common pleco from a 20 gallon tank to a 58 gallon tank on Sunday. Today I went to do a water change and there are only 9 platies in the tank. I looked on the floor all around the tank. I even had my wife and kid search the whole house. Ive never had a fish just vanish before so that must mean the others ate it. But ive never seen aggresion from any of them. Is it possible the pleco ate it? Im stumpped.
    10 Gallon (emergency tank)
    20 Gallon (emrgency tank)
    58 gallon ( Tetra, Platie, Cory)
    125 Gallon (Ikola)

Have you checked around the decorations in the tank?
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

I have checked everywhere in my whole house. I removed all rocks and decorations from the both tanks. Its a bright orange fish!!!. I dont have any animals. Either the other fish ate him/her or the fish swam into a wormhole or something.
      125 Gallon (Ikola)

Comment

The pleco did not eat it. Not a chance. How long has it been since you seen 10 platies?

Comment

I have had a fish die unnoticed before and be consumed slowly by the other inhabitants. Not certain that occurred, but nothing in the tank sounds as if it was the killer. I have had a silver hatchetfish population that has dwindled over 4 years from 8 to 3 and I think I have actually only fished a single dead one out. I will say that on one occasion quite some many years ago we had a power failure and my brother's Dwarf Gourami went missing and we could not locate it, after about 6 months we had another power failure and I noticed him emerge from a undergravel filter lift!!! He was quite emaciated, though after a few weeks he returned to normal and lived for quite some time after that. I found the UG filter was the favorite hiding spot for my skunk loaches and coolie's as well so you never know.
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

i seen plecos eating dead fish before, either ,tghe fish is dead in the plants, or is out of the tank or it has been eaten.

Comment

Now there are only 8 platies. No dead anywhere to be found. I may have to move the entire tank. My wife could be right about the fish swimming into another universe or black hole or something.
              125 Gallon (Ikola)

Comment

Do you have any snails in the tank?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

There are no snails. There are 8 platies, 2 tetra, 2 Cories, 1 common pleco.
                  125 Gallon (Ikola)

Comment

I will tell you a secret known only to those with Brown Commons...they will eat the heck out of a dead fish...I have seen Mollies nibbling on a dead fish, but plecos will chow down on carrion in the tank.
                    My plecos (all kinds) sometimes go to the top and cruise along eating the flake I spread for the other fish in the tank...I've had them start eating the slime coat on some of my live Angels before...weird.
                    They can eat a bit of a dead Platy for sure.
                    Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

That's not the only thing that has been missing.

PHILBERT! Where have you been? We missed you. :)
                      PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Lurking... :)

Ya'll are in my thoughts...I work alla time to maintain my status quo ($3 over the Poverty Line), but I did manage to visit Dave at PetPrison, and get some updates.
                        Really wanted to make the auction, but HAD to work.
                        I really wish the climate would hurry up and do the Ice Age thing, I'm pulling for Global Cooling. No fun working in 110F heat... :)
                        Working for a better Future for my Fish!

Sailfin Mollies, Plecos, Corys,, 1 lonely Jewel Cichlid

Comment

Working...
                        X