Anyone using a close-up filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using a close-up filter?

I'm looking to get more than a 1:1 reproduction from my lens. Anyone have experience with close-up filter?

Are they worth the money?

Thanks in advance.
    I ate my fish that died.

Re: Anyone using a close-up filter?

? Bump for an answer.

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
    -Stephen Roberts

Comment

from what i hear they work. you dont get alot out of them but they are pretty cheap.
      25g - Reef
      3.5g - Surge Tank
      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Hi,
        Advantages:
        Great for low light- they do not reduce the light input like extension tubes and teleconverters do.
        They come in varying powers- usually enough to combine all the way up to 7X.
        Price- Whether you get a generic filter kit on eBay or use the Cokin system, they are pretty much the cheapest solution around.
        Disadvantages:
        Optical quality- Unless you get upper-end ones, some degradation of picture quality can be expected. Personally, I don't find this to be that much of a handicap. I use Hoya brand and Cokin brand.
        Working distance- They reduce the working distance by 1/4 to 1/2 or more. This can be an issue with live animals. They also lower the hyperfocal length of the lens. That is the amount of the picture that is in focus.

Personally, I would start with extension tubes IF and only IF you have enough light (think metal halide or multiple flashes). But for versatility, the close-up lenses can't be beat. They can be attached to any lens, making a consumer zoom into a half-decent macro in a pinch. I regularly use them on my 100-400mm lens for butterflies and flowers.
        55g Planted- Malawi and Victorian Cichlids
        35g Cube- P. Saulosi, Petrochromis, Sunshine Peacocks
        20L Planted- RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Neon Tetras, Snails
        2.5g Planted- Snails, RCS

Comment

Nice!

Thanks for the tips!
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
          X