Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bryopsis Eradication (A mini Journal/How To thing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryopsis Eradication (A mini Journal/How To thing)

I figured this might help if I documented my battle with Bryopsis day by day with pictures as I dose Kent Tech-M.

What you will need:
    1 Magnesium Test Kit. (I'm using Red Sea's kit)
    1 Bottle of Kent Tech-M. (For my 34G cube I purchased 16oz.)

Tip: Test your water's Mg BEFORE you add anything! You need to know where youre starting!

Notes: I added everything that was recommended to naturally remove/control this before taking these measures. I added 2 emerald Crabs 2 weeks ago, and all they seem to do is nibble on it, nothing more. The CUC I currently have, eats around it. So case in fact, the Bryopsis is now out of control, nearly doubling every 2 days.
    ---

Ok so I decided to run a full test on my tank before I added anything. Here is what I came up with:
    Ammo: 0
    Nitrates: 0
    Nitrites: 0
    Ph: 7.8-8.2 (API kits are hard to read)
    Sg: 1.023 (I do not have corals at the moment)
    Mg: 980

Ok now that that is done, I went by what others have done in this nasty battle and dosed 3 capfuls of the Kent Tech-M today. I plan on dosing 3 caps everyday until my MG reads 1500 or I start to see a positive change in the Bryopsis. (Yellowing, falling apart, disappearing, etc)

Pics on day ONE. (2/25/10)

FTS:

3 seriously engulfed rocks:

40G Breeder (47G) Planted Topless Tank

i bought some Margarita Snails from city pets and they have seriously reduced what started to grow. turned the rock back to bright white. i have a 72g and i bought 4 margarita snails and 1 turbo. i need to buy 4 more this weekend.
    pepperoni pizza

Comment

DAY 2:

Mg Test BEFORE todays dose: 1080
      Added 3 capfuls of Kent Tech-M after test.

Notes:
      -Tried to manually remove some of the longer Bryopsis from the "shelf" yesterday...didnt get much.
      -I notice a change in color of the Bryopsis today. It seems more "yellow" than green.

----

FTS Day 2:

3 Rocks:

Comment

DAY 3

Mg Test BEFORE todays dose: 1160

Notes: Still noticing more yellowing. I now see 1 or 2 pieces loose and floating around the water column. Removed via Turkey Baster.

Day 3 FTS:

3 Rocks:

Comment

Day 4:

Mg Test BEFORE todays dose: 1280

notes: idk wtf is going on. Its kinda at a halt now to where I cant notice a difference in person.

FTS Day 4:

3 Rocks:

close up:
          I have also noticed it is feathery from the BASE up.

edit: Im about to get the scissors in there and suck up all the debris..maybe the snails will eat the stubs that are leftover :/ I overreacted about my snails working...they ate 1 or 2 stalks and moved around it :/

Comment

Are the rocks attached to each other with epoxy or something?

If not, you might want to just take it total out of the tank and put a brush to it.

Using scissors and not removing all of the cuttings might allow it to spread.

Good luck and keep us updated!
            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittysnax View Post
              Day 4:

Mg Test BEFORE todays dose: 1280

notes: idk wtf is going on. Its kinda at a halt now to where I cant notice a difference in person.
              your Mg is still not high enough 1280 is a normal level for a reef tank....
              25g - Reef
              3.5g - Surge Tank
              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Day 5:

Mg Test BEFORE todays dose: 1360

Notes:
                - I scrubbed the pink rock yesterday. That is why a large amount is missing. I decided I didnt feel like tearing the tank apart to get the other pieces, so I stopped.
                - I am still seeing pieces of Bryo detaching from the rocks and blowing about the water column. I Turkey Baste them up when I see them.

FTS Day 5:

3 Rocks:

Comment

i picked up 15 snails this weekend to continue with my fight against the start of algae. if you would like i will give you a couple and if i can find my hermit crabs i will give you a couple of them also.
                  pepperoni pizza

Comment

Originally posted by zerocool View Post
                    i picked up 15 snails this weekend to continue with my fight against the start of algae. if you would like i will give you a couple and if i can find my hermit crabs i will give you a couple of them also.
                    Thanks zero, but I think I have a TON of snails aready since reefcleaners.org decided to give me WAY MORE than I ordered! ROFL! I picked up 3 turbos 2 days ago and they seemed to be workin for a bit, but nothing anymore. Same with the 2 emerald crabs I got as well /sadface

Comment

that is how mine are, seems like the first day they put a dent in it, but then they stop.
                      pepperoni pizza

Comment

looks like two more days and it should be good kitty. i would aim for 1600 and put one extra capful on that last day to hit it.
                        25g - Reef
                        3.5g - Surge Tank
                        10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Day 6:

Mg Test BEFORE todays dose: 1440

Notes:
                          - Cut photo-period back yesterday from 10 hours to 3. (1 for observation/tests in the morning, 2 in the evening for viewing)
                          -Did not feed last night (1st time in 2 weeks)
                          -Definatly noticing a thinning of the Bryo. Definate color change. Yellowing and what seems to be a "translucent-ness"

FTS Day 6:

3 rocks:

Comment

The rock on the left is getting some really good growth!

How long is your photoperiod now?
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

today it was only maybe 2-3 hours total. I also fed the fish today....I know he could go longer but tiny baby animals call out to me, so I gave him just enough to fill his belly and leave a few specs for the shrimp.

The Bryo is DEFINATLY starting to thin out and loose all color. I cleaned my Korialas off when I fed. They were catching all the floating debris for me LOL!!! I also unclogged the AC70 intake as well of dying Bryo! That last rock is the heaviest hit. I am wondering if maybe there is some hair algae mixed with it, but I cant be for sure just yet. Nothing wants to touch this stuff. :/

Comment

Working...
                              X