Cloudy tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudy tank

I can't seem to get my tank clear. I did a water change about 3 days ago and every since then my tank has been cloudy. It looks like small particals just floating around. But I can't even see all the way to the back of the tank. Also since the water change I have an big algae bloom. Over night I went from no algae to all the rocks and glass turned green & there are a bunch of little critters living on the glass. I have two #1 power heads and the stock pumps running. Somewhere around 1800 gph.
    Is the flow causing the cloudyness? Should I turn off the powerheads?
    Will another water change help the algea problem? ( all my readings are good, 0,0,10ppm). Please help me get my tank sparkling.

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
    -Stephen Roberts

What type of substrate are you using?

What type of filters do you have on this tank?

For just the info provided....I would just leave the tank alone.

Do normal w/c but got back on the percentage.
    Last edited by myjohnson; 02-17-2010, 12:07 AM.
    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Re: Cloudy tank

I have crushed coral "live" substrait real light stuff can't really remember the name brand. I have 2 #1 koralia's and the stock pumps. 30 lbs live sand, 40 lbs live rock. I only ask becouse it's soo cloudy i cant even see the back of the tank.

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
      -Stephen Roberts

Comment

How long the tank been up?

Could just be the "live" sand.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

can you walk us through how you prepare your water for a water change?
          25g - Reef
          3.5g - Surge Tank
          10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson
            How long the tank been up?

Could just be the "live" sand.
            Been up for about a month

-Stephen Roberts

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409
              can you walk us through how you prepare your water for a water change?
              1: go to city pets
              2: buy saltwater
              3: remove tank water
              4: add saltwater from city pets.
              5: check sg.
              6: add ro/di water as needed.

-Stephen Roberts

Comment

you havn't added anything other than the CP water? no buffers? Im assuming this isn't your first water change on this tank, did you change more than normal? how big is the tank 1800 GPH doesn't sound too high.
                25g - Reef
                3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

It's a 28 gal this is my 2nd h20 I've only done about 3 gallon changes. I haven't added any buffers at all.

-Stephen Roberts

Comment

only thing I can think of is that , for some reason, your old water has reacted with something in this new water and has precipitated calcium carbonate. If this is the case then this cloudiness will not just go away and must be remedied by water changes.
                    25g - Reef
                    3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

How many water changes are too many? Would 3 gal. Every other day for a week be too much?

-Stephen Roberts

Comment

no, I try and change 5g on my 25g tank every week.
                        25g - Reef
                        3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

Good to know I'll do 5 gal twice a week and see how it goes.

-Stephen Roberts

Comment

1800 gph for a 28 g tank? That is pretty high to me. If you have fine sand, there is no doubt it will be blown all over.

If you research on it, I believe it's ~10 times your volume for Fish only and ~20 times for Reef tank.

Comment

Unless you have an algae outbreak of some kind, water change should not make your tank cloudy for more than a few hours. More water changes are always good, they are never too much (except for the cost).

Comment

Working...
                              X