Mixing the Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing the Water

for the water you use in a reef tank do i have to buy it already mixed or can i take tap water and mix it?
    pepperoni pizza

you want to use RODI water. If you go larger it beneficial to buy the RODI filter and mix on your own. Samller tanks it might be easier to buy the water from your LFS

Comment

what is a RODI filter and where do i buy one. i should be picking up a 72g this weekend.
      pepperoni pizza

Comment

ok i found the filters online, but they are expensive, where can i buy the water at and how much is it?
        pepperoni pizza

Comment

In the long run it's much cheaper to buy an RO/DI filter. You can buy pre mixed water at some fish stores, but it's super expensive, esp in the long run. The only way I would ever consider buying store water would be is if I only had a nano.
          Karen

Comment

salt water tends to run around $1/gallon.... i have an option for you, I will pm you.

Comment

Originally posted by thekarens View Post
              In the long run it's much cheaper to buy an RO/DI filter. You can buy pre mixed water at some fish stores, but it's super expensive, esp in the long run. The only way I would ever consider buying store water would be is if I only had a nano.
              +1
              You can not afford not to buy an RO/ DI system if you have a 72G+ tank.
              A real good 5 stage cost ~$150 new. You can buy it used for less.
              Salt costs ~$35 to make 160g.

Let's say you buy pre-mixed salt water from the store at $1 /gallon. You need 72G to start.
              In the 1st few weeks when your tank cycles, it's likely that you have to make 50% WC a couple of times.
              Afterward maybe 20G every 2-4 weeks.
              You do the math.

I neglect to mention earlier: how do you plan to transport 72G of water from the store?
              Last edited by rage; 02-06-2010, 09:27 AM.

Comment

If you do a 72 SW I would suggest buying the RODI if you are doing a nano its not worth it at least not for me.
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
                28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

ok i bought a RODI from Ranakalea. now i need some tanks to store the water in one for fresh and one for SW. if anyone has a setup i will take it.
                  pepperoni pizza

Comment

ok i have a question on the RODI, what order do the filters go in. mine has 3 + membrain + DI. so what order do the 3 go in. what i bought for it was : 1 micron sediment, 5 micron solid carbon block, mixed bed resin.
                    pepperoni pizza

Comment

mine is setup ... 5 micron solid carbon block, micron sediment, mixed bed resin
                      25g - Reef
                      3.5g - Surge Tank
                      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

thanks that is what i was looking for
                        pepperoni pizza

Comment

Working...
                        X