Wanting To Try Out SW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting To Try Out SW

I want to try my luck at SW. I stopped by All About Fish today and checked out what they had.

Im thinking the 29 gallon Bio cube will be perfect for me.

They had it listed for $339, im still going to look else where for a better price if there is one.

29g B.C.: $339
    Live Rock: $5.99 lb.
    Live Sand: $30 bag
    Pre Mixed SW: $1.30 g.

Do these prices seem right? Is there another LFS I should go check out?

Thanks in advance.
    JG
    A wife, two kids and two cats.

If you want to pay retail, go to fish store.
    If you want to find deals, go to individuals:

Comment

City Pets sells LR and LS for a lot cheaper. And their water is .75 the last time I was there. I am sure HAW will be too but I dont know if they have the LR for sale yet.
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

I too go to City Pets for my SW needs.
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Thanks guys, Ill def. be checking out City Pets.

Comment

I got a couple frags from All About Fish. They high as HELL. I have some fish you can have to cycle your tank and a couple frags for you once it's cycled.
            20gal. Neo.Brichardi fry
            30gal. Neo.Brichardi
            110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae

Comment

For someone starting out, i would personally recommend a skimmer.
              They have some pretty good hang on back skimmers out there (like the remora) which you can use right off the main tank, but i'd say spend a little time looking into the possibility of an under tank sump / refugium, so you can have all your unsightly equipment hidden away.
              Also, the sump increases the overall water volume, helping to keep the water parameters stable for longer. You can also grow chaetomorpha or other macroalgae down there to help reduce nitrates.

I would also try to get familiar with mixing your own saltwater in a 5 gal bucket (or more) as opposed to relying on pre-mixed saltwater. For such a small tank, without a macroalgae fuge & skimmer, you are going to be doing lots of waterchanges to keep the water quality up, and it's going to get pretty expensive and quite a chore to have to go to the store to get saltwater all the time.

You're also going to need a hydrometer. If you can, invest in a good refractometer. Sure beats the hell out of using those cheap swing-arm meters you get at your big box pet store.

Someone traded in 200lbs of live rock at fish ranch 2 the other day... i'm not sure how much they are selling, but they did have some nice branches.

good luck!
              www.ventralfins.com

Comment

sent you a pm on a saltwater setup

Comment

Originally posted by nacra99 View Post
                  For someone starting out, i would personally recommend a skimmer.
                  They have some pretty good hang on back skimmers out there (like the remora) which you can use right off the main tank, but i'd say spend a little time looking into the possibility of an under tank sump / refugium, so you can have all your unsightly equipment hidden away.
                  Also, the sump increases the overall water volume, helping to keep the water parameters stable for longer. You can also grow chaetomorpha or other macroalgae down there to help reduce nitrates.
                  Is there some where you can buy a sump/refugium? I saw a DIY but im not very good at making anything lol.

Mixing my own saltwater cant be to hard, im sure I can handle that.

Comment

Originally posted by JAYGEE View Post
                    Is there some where you can buy a sump/refugium? I saw a DIY but im not very good at making anything lol.

Mixing my own saltwater cant be to hard, im sure I can handle that.
                    \

Well.. sumps are not cheap. DIY would be the cheapest. I make all of mine from old fish tanks.
                    But if you want to buy, I know that nick (who works at fish ranch 2) does custom acrylic fuges for people.
                    You can also check out ebay. Sometimes i see refugium kits. They send you a bunch of pre cut acrylic, and you just silicone it to your tank.
                    Or you can post a want ad here , or perhaps check out craigslist... someone might have a used one.

good luck!
                    www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Ill keep an eye out. If worse comes to worst i will offer some beer and grub for some help on making one. :)

Thanks again Nacra

Comment

I would say get a refracto but I am not sure you necissarily need a skimmer. I but I would recommend a fuge if you dont. I am buying my water as I dont feel like mixing and all that jazz its just easier and quicker for me just to buy it and a 10-20% water change is only 3-6 Gallons a week which is like $6. Just eat one less Big Mac and your golden.
                        Resident fish bum
                        330G FOWLR
                        34G Reef
                        Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Do I need to bring my own containers if I buy Pre mixed SW from City Pets?

Man Im like soooo freakin close to go buying my 29g Bio Cube, soon as I get off work....

Comment

Yes you will have to bring your own. Walmart sells 7G water containers.
                            Resident fish bum
                            330G FOWLR
                            34G Reef
                            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by JAYGEE View Post
                              Do I need to bring my own containers if I buy Pre mixed SW from City Pets?

Man Im like soooo freakin close to go buying my 29g Bio Cube, soon as I get off work....
                              That's good news man!

Do post pictures if you can after you get the tank.
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X