No announcement yet.

How often does your Amano Shrimp molt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often does your Amano Shrimp molt?

This past week I headed out to the store to get some iodine for the shrimps. I remember reading somewhere 1 drop per 10 gallons. So I just followed suit and put about 2 drops into a 20 gallon tank.

I only have 3 amanos but all three molted their skins that week. Then just now one of them molted again. Is it odd to have one molt twice within a week?

I think it's a bit odd. Did you step up your water changes on the tank as well, or was the only thing different the fact that you added iodine?

Was this the first time you've added iodine?
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

iodine will cause shrimp to molt, maybe you added too much to cause it to molt twice in the same week
      25g - Reef
      3.5g - Surge Tank
      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Earlier this week was the first time putting iodine in the tank. I did some re-arranging around today, stirred up the aquasoil a bit, So I did a larger than normal wc. Then added 1 drop of iodine.

Comment

Two other things to consider about shrimp molting. Small shrimp molt more than adult shrimp out of necessity as they grow larger. I've also noticed that my RCS will molt after a heavy feeding (probably for the same reason).

I have never put iodine in my shrimp tanks, and they're just fine. I've had about 50 amanos in my 75g planted tank for a couple of years. I've lost a few for different reasons (accidentally pulled them out with plants and had them dry up on the carpet), but they don't die spontaneously.

I know a lot of people with Amanos and RCS, none of which add iodine to their water. I think it's unnecessary.
          Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
          • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
          • 29g Planted - Journal
          • 29g Planted
          • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Working...
          X