One of these things is not the same

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of these things is not the same

Can someone explain to me what is the difference between a botea and a loach ?
    and why are they not in the same classification as corys
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Do you mean botia? I found a lot of info on botia loachs on google.
    Last edited by algarciajr; 01-09-2010, 06:48 PM.
    150G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    125G Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
    115G Tanganyikan

Comment

found it - Botia = Indian loaches / possess a pair of razor-sharp spines under their eye sockets. One characteristic of this loach group is the ability to produce a loud "clicking" noise, which is commonly heard during feeding time. This noise stems from a special type of pharyngeal teeth that are used to extract snails from their shells Thats a fact Jack - used to always catch my catfish by hand so they wouldn't get caught up in the net. But I had a 5" red tail / Blue Botia and when I picked him up he gored me with tusks like a razor back and would not let go. SOB

'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

As far as I know, the term "loach" is a common name while "botia" is a scientific name for a specific group of fish. Corys are a different fish so they are classified differently.

All botias are loaches, but not all loaches are botias. There is more than one species of loaches. Corys, however, are not one of the species of loaches. It is a catfish, but not a loach.

Here's a detailed list of the different species of loaches, including botia: http://www.loaches.com/species-index/species-index
        Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
        • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
        • 29g Planted - Journal
        • 29g Planted
        • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Love them botias!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I didn't know a Clown loach was a Botia......

Comment

Originally posted by Complexity View Post
              ...not all loaches are botias.
              Originally posted by PhishPhreek View Post
              I didn't know a Clown loach was a Botia......
              It's not. Clown loaches are part of the Chromobotia family. Botia AND Chromobotia are two different types of loaches.

It's similar to saying that a Pleco and an Oto are both catfish. Plecos and Otos are two different types of catfish.

Does that help?
              Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
              • 29g Planted
              • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

So Clown Loaches were botias but now they're not......... no wonder I confused

Comment

I don't know if clown loaches were ever classified as botia.
                  Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
                  • 29g Planted
                  • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Working...
                  X