Best Nikon macro lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Nikon macro lens?

Well, I pulled the trigger and a Nikon D90 is on it's way to my house.

What type of marco lens do you guys think is best for taking pictures of tropheus?

Looking to only spend $500-700.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by myjohnson; 12-25-2009, 12:29 AM. Reason: sp
    I ate my fish that died.

nice! no idea on the lens, but looking forward to seeing some A+ pictures of your fish
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

For some odd reason Nikon refers to thier macro lenses as micro. But I would look at either the 60mm 2.8 or the 105mm 2.8.

If you would like to test these before you buy them they can be rented at Light Tec located on Gulfton Street right there in Houston.

I intend to rent a couple after Christmas for my D1X to photograph my new colony.

Last edited by Gene D; 12-24-2009, 10:18 PM. Reason: correction
      120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
      180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

My older brother was really big into SLRs and have a number of lens.

He gave me his old Nikon 70-210mm. This is kind of like an all purpose lens, but I'm looking for a nice macro lens that is well constructed and can hold it's value for a long time.
        Last edited by myjohnson; 12-25-2009, 11:58 AM. Reason: sp
        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

man! 210mm, you need something bigger than that?
          25g - Reef
          3.5g - Surge Tank
          10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

It is not a question of focal length. I have a 300mm 2.8 that is one Nikons top sports lenses. It is just about useless for fish. You want a macro/micro for the minimum focusing distance.

Minimum focusing distances
            60mm Micro 2.8 = 0.66ft
            105mm Micro 2.8 = 1.0ft
            300mm Super tele = 7.5ft

You can get better images standing right at the front of the tank with a smaller focal distance than you can standing 7.5ft away with a longer focal distance.

In practical terms a macro is like sitting in field box seats with binoculars. A long telephoto is the equivalent of sitting in the nose bleeds with a telescope.

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

I like to be a little far from the tank. Say like 3 feet so I don't freak the fishes out. What macro do you suggest I get to be about to do that?

I want shots were you can see the fishes scales and teeth but still be able to step back and do it.
              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

If you are looking for that amount of detail the 105mm 2.8 would be my suggestion. It will allow you to get close up as well as being as close to the tank as you can without spooking the fish.

Lighting is also a consideration though. If you have good HO lighting a 2.8 aperature should be plenty. If not you need a faster lens (smaller the F number the faster). A faster lens such as the 85mm 1.4 (3.00ft) minimum focusing distance should be used. But that is a very expensive lens.

That said I would still suggest the 105 and sit as close to the tank as you can until the fish adjust. I did tonight and will post the pics I got tomorrow.

Comment

I'm also working on getting a flash system to see CLS in action. Master flash and a slave. Still don't know what I want. I need to look up some more stuff on it.
                  I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by myjohnson View Post
                    Well, I pulled the trigger and a Nikon D90 is on it's way to my house.

What type of marco lens do you guys think is best for taking pictures of tropheus?

Looking to only spend $500-700.

Thanks in advance.
                    dont have any idea on what lens to get,but cant wait to see some pics!!!
                    petro crazy!!!

Comment

Marco Lense

I am just a photography hobbilist & my opinion is i like 300mm lense & closeup marco lense attached to 300mm lense. If the financial is not a problem, try to get 2.8 lense. Also get the SB800 flash light or SB600,
                      this flash light can control other slate lights & you can put the slate lights anywhere you prefered. Good luck & have a good shopping for lenses!

Comment

105 is the way to go....
                        also if you really want good macro pics...
                        u have to get pretty close to the tank..together with the flash..
                        u going 3 feet from the tank its just gonna give u a regular pic..or u crop it all the way....
                        but still the macro lens are pretty sharp..
                        and why did you went with nikon thai?? lol..jk...
                        Last edited by madugo; 12-25-2009, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Lens: at 3 feet away - do the 105/2.8 as a macro lens.

Flash: SB800 are discontinued, so consider the SB900 as your master, and either another 900 or 600 as a slave. I can't remember if you can use a D90 as a master or not.

Good camera choice.

Too bad you are so far away. You could borrow some of my lens.
                          300+RR (8-10 ft x 30"x30") - Waiting to find it... Lake Tanganyikan
                          225RR (72"x24"Wx29"H) DSA - Lake Tanganyikan WC Murago
                          210RR (60"x24"Wx32"H) AGE - Lake Tanganyikan WC IN PROGRESS
                          160RR 1/2 cylinder (60"x30"Wx30"H) AGE - Altum Biotope IN PROGRESS
                          90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Rio Meta Biotope
                          90RR (36"x24"Wx25"H) NEO DSA - Lake Valencia Biotope

Comment

Originally posted by madugo View Post
                            and why did you went with nikon thai?? lol..jk...
                            It's Jim (ssrprelue's) fault. He went canon so I had to go Nikon.

J/k. I basically did like Donald advised and picked up both cameras to see which one I liked. The Nikon was more noob friendly to me so I pick it.

Plus my brother has A LOT of lenses it's all about time before he gives them to me. When he upgrades the older ones become mine.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaquaria View Post
                              Lens: at 3 feet away - do the 105/2.8 as a macro lens.

Flash: SB800 are discontinued, so consider the SB900 as your master, and either another 900 or 600 as a slave. I can't remember if you can use a D90 as a master or not.

Good camera choice.

Too bad you are so far away. You could borrow some of my lens.
                              LOL, thanks for the offer anyhow Donald. Hey, what type of flash do you have?

I'm guessing a 900 as master and 600 as slave?
                              I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                              X