Amazing discus parasite video.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing discus parasite video.

I have been fighting a parasite outbreak and white poop in my beloved 210g discus tank, and I decided to buy a USB microscope to see what I am dealing with. I have too many discus to treat in my small QT tank, so I am treating the main tank.

I still dont know what the heck everything is when I look in the microscope...I think I have identified spiro but they are mostly gone now after the metro treatments thus far...As for now, I am on day 4 of metro treatment and will back that up with a dewormer treatment of Levamisole in the water.

I hope I can kill these bugs and get my guys back eating again. I have lost two of my smallest guys last week, but since I have been treating with metro everyone is looking better already.

I also hope this information will prove useful when other members need to reference parasites in their discus. I have posted these findings on simplydiscus.com as well.

Here is a pic and a video of a parasite I found a few days ago...The pic shows two, side by side.

VIDEO --->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJY7QWwxIgU

And here is the second video, amazing little creature who looks like he has buzz saws for hands...weird stuff...

VIDEO --->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABGBJ1O0L3w

If anyone can help that would be great. I think the meds I have will kill them, Ill keep the thread posted as I progress.
    Last edited by Matt in Houston; 12-11-2009, 07:05 PM.
    15g column BB low-tech driftwood/planted - Dwarf Puffer Tank :lupe:

oh, so sad to hear you're having this problem. Your set up is very beautiful, I hope you succeed with the treatment and bring everyone back to healthy fishes.

Love the video and microscopic images. Please keep us in track of the process.
    100 gal- java fern windelov,anubia petite,xmas moss, crypt,val, sword, riccia fluitans, Sagittaria subulata
    30 gal:e.tenellus,hygrophila wavy,acicularis vivapara,Limnophila aquatica,Hygrophila corymbosa,Hydrocotyle(praecox rainbow,Celestial PD

Comment

GL Matt
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
      28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Well already some good news...the folks at simplydiscus mentioned that weird creature with the spinning cilia is probably a rotifer.

Rotifers arent parasites...so thats good. In fact many people use them for fry food.

I also didnt see much else in the poop sample I took other than the rotifer and a few spiro here and there. Im sure a few more days of metro treatments will have the spiro under control. I have a 500g bucket of metro so I wont be running out anytime soon lol.

I also have a 100g bottle of Levamisole I got today from a pigeon supply company.
        Last edited by Matt in Houston; 12-11-2009, 10:44 PM.

Comment

very nice vids! good luck on the treatment, sounds like you have it under control.
          25g - Reef
          3.5g - Surge Tank
          10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Very cool microscope. Keep use posted. Specially if you get a vidoe of the parasites.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

sorry i dont know anything about it...
              but the video looks really cool..

Comment

Good job, Matt. It's great to see folks go the extra mile to care for their fids.

Mark
                What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

fid's!!!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by fshfrk View Post
                    fid's!!!
                    Yup. Finned kids; fids.

Mark
                    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Everyone still okay...did a large water change today and dosed with Levamisole tonight. Lots of different info about how long to let it stay in the water. Some say 24hrs, some say leave it in for 3-4 days. Its supposed to paralyze the nematodes and worms, and they fall out to rest at the bottom of the tank to be vaccumed up. I think the theory behind the 3-4 day before water change is that if they are paralyzed that long, they may die.

Ill do a little more research and figure it out...Im leaning toward 3 days then water change, and retreat in 1-2 weeks as directed. Very potent stuff by the way, one bottle should last a long time.

Comment

Working...
                      X