Heating the biofilter???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating the biofilter???

New guy here and this is my first season with my new pond. I have a 2400 gallon waterfall setup with several koi. Including some 20" goshiki, showa, etc. I have read where the bio filter does not work anymore when water temps go under 50 F. My thought was to heat my trough where the filter media is and keep it constantly warmer than 50 F to allow a constant bio filter. Does this sound crazy? What does everyone else do during the next few months in the Houston area? Any help would do
    Last edited by pt lavell; 11-22-2009, 07:42 PM.
    Patrick
    Like the ZEN master says "we'll see"

Back way off feeding and don't worry about it. If the water temp is below 50 degrees don't feed. Add lot's of oxygen on the coldest days & nights. Thats what Virginia would do. The koi will out live us. LOL

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Welcome to the Box!

If it's deep enough, you should be ok. I wouldn't use a heater. You'll be happier with the electrical bill.
      "The word superstar really turn me off and I tell you why because the word starrrrrrr, Man is an illusionnnnn" Bruce Lee

Comment

I really appreciate the advice. I have learned alot for my first year having the pond. Searching for advice on the web can be overwhelming. Hearing words of wisdom from individuals here that have lived through the seasons makes me much more comfortable.
        Thanks again and it's a great to be welcomed to the Box!
        Patrick

Comment

from what I've read, as the water temperature approaches 50 you should gradually decrease feeding, and stop all together below that point, as the kois metabolism slows down so much any food they eat will probably rot in their gut before it gets digested also the biofilter is slowing down as well.

in the spring as temperatures start rising gradually increase the food as the temperature warms back up.

Comment

Originally posted by JStrider View Post
            from what I've read, as the water temperature approaches 50 you should gradually decrease feeding, and stop all together below that point, as the kois metabolism slows down so much any food they eat will probably rot in their gut before it gets digested also the biofilter is slowing down as well.

in the spring as temperatures start rising gradually increase the food as the temperature warms back up.
            I understand the process from the seasons but I was just curious on if the biofilter could be heated with a small heater under the filter media. My theory was to operate a small under water heating element to warm the bio filter allowing for the spring time to have a head start and eliminating the possibility of HOLE disease. I won't be adding the heater after hearing from all in our area assuring us we don't need it. Thanks
            Patrick

Comment

Working...
            X