DIY python

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY python

I have been contemplating creating my own python as I am getting tired of replacing the piece that connects the threaded piece that screws into the faucet to the T as the plastics made is really soft and I cannot buy the piece individually I have to buy the whole set-up. My question is does anyone know where I can find the piece that screws into the faucet that has a regular thread and size to connect to the T that you find at any hardware store? I have looked at HD and either missed it or its not there.
    Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

Lowes in plumbing. 2nd to last isle. before pvc fittings. soon as you turn down the isle take 2 steps and they are on the right belly button high. should be plastic washers, airerators,silicone grease,rubber gromets there too.

Are you draining a 340 gal tank with a python?

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I replaced that plastic threaded piece with a metal one. I had to take the stock piece off the faucet. Any major hardware store should have it.

Just go up in there and act like you don't know anything and someone will help you.
      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

i have a used python set with 50' for sale....

Comment

dude, quit spending money on expensive Pythons and buy a freakin garden hose. I have been doing 50% water changes for over a year now with the same garden hose i bought at Lowe's for $8. I bought a connector piece so i can hook it up to the sink for like $5 and i've never had to replace anything. Works like a charm.
          If it ain't wild caught
          You ain't doing it right

Comment

Some Petco's sell the pieces individually...

I only use the green "T" and a brass sink adapter...I bought my own hose to fill with through a carbon bottle, and I drain my tank with 1.5" spa hose out the front door. That sucker can drain my 210 in no time flat.

You can buy the 35' spa hose for 30-40 dollars at Lowes outside in the pool supply area or Walmart in the pool supply area as well. Its ready to go and pre-packaged in plastic, not on a roll.
            15g column BB low-tech driftwood/planted - Dwarf Puffer Tank :lupe:

Comment

Originally posted by Matt in Houston View Post
              Some Petco's sell the pieces individually...

I only use the green "T" and a brass sink adapter...I bought my own hose to fill with through a carbon bottle, and I drain my tank with 1.5" spa hose out the front door. That sucker can drain my 210 in no time flat.

You can buy the 35' spa hose for 30-40 dollars at Lowes outside in the pool supply area or Walmart in the pool supply area as well. Its ready to go and pre-packaged in plastic, not on a roll.

Matt where did you get your carbon bottle and how much was it I am in market for one! Aslo I have a spay hose from lowes it does drain fast but with only one person doing the work how do you get the siphon started my hose will not stay under water unless I put rock on it or have some one hold it under water while I go out and start siphon? Thanks CD

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Derrick View Post
                Matt where did you get your carbon bottle and how much was it I am in market for one! Aslo I have a spay hose from lowes it does drain fast but with only one person doing the work how do you get the siphon started my hose will not stay under water unless I put rock on it or have some one hold it under water while I go out and start siphon? Thanks CD

Chris I made a post in your carbon bottle thread...It tells you where to get the bottle, how much it cost, and how to hook it up.

As for the spa hose, yes it gets heavy when its draining so usually I have my wife hold it while I go outside to start the siphon. The other way I do when I'm by myself is to let some of the hose hang down behind the back of the tank while the rest of the hose is hanging over a corner on the side. Works for me...you may need to just get more of the weight of the hose into the tank.
                15g column BB low-tech driftwood/planted - Dwarf Puffer Tank :lupe:

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Derrick View Post
                  CD, depending on what size spa hose you have go to HD and get some pvc that the hose fits inside. Buy some 2 elbows and a 45 deg angle elbow. Glue it all together to form a hook that stop at the desired water change level. Start the siphon and let it rip. Maybe fshfrk will post a pic for you.

Comment

+1, it's not like rocket science.
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

fittings for pool hose

Hi all

One of the things I did so that it would be easy to modify if necessary is to use pressure fittings... yes.. they are more expensive... but make for adaptations much easier...

The (I call it a hook) hook is litterally hooked onto the aquarium and to the hose. Do consider using a valve so you do not break the suction..

One length to the hose....pressure fitted may take some time,, then to a valve, to a pressure fitted elbow then another elbow and then the length that can be changed to shorter or longer and also with a pressure fitting.

The Hook end that is in the tank can be lengthend or shortened to the amount of water you want drained out of the aquarium... this is possible through the use of the pressure fittings..

Hope this helps...

Bill

Comment

To drain I would use the biggest hose I can get my hands on.
                        I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Brian, try Houston Aquatics in the Heights. They have both Python and the less expensive Lee's replacement parts, which are 100% compatible with each other.
                          PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

Originally posted by fshfrk View Post
                            Lowes in plumbing. 2nd to last isle. before pvc fittings. soon as you turn down the isle take 2 steps and they are on the right belly button high. should be plastic washers, airerators,silicone grease,rubber gromets there too.

Are you draining a 340 gal tank with a python?
                            No I use a 1" hose out the back door to drain it. But I use the python to clean the crap off the bottom every once in a while and to refill the tank. I dont like using the python adapters as they are soft plastics and I have broken them at least 4 times over a few years and I just tired of it
                            Resident fish bum
                            330G FOWLR
                            34G Reef
                            Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

The circled part is the part that keeps breaking. I do not use this brand currently but its the same part
                              Attached Files
                              Resident fish bum
                              330G FOWLR
                              34G Reef
                              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
                              X