Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to build a DIY Carbon Snake (carbon hose)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to build a DIY Carbon Snake (carbon hose)

First things first this carbon snake is the design and creation of our resident DIY guru John Crowder (FSHFRK), I am just some random joker who witnessed it and who has enough time to type all this out.

NEEDED MATERIALS
    All materials listed below available at Lowe's
    1.5 Inch ID PVC Spa Flex Pipe (10-20FT)
    1.5 x 3/4 Inch SCH 40 Bushing (2)
    1.5 Inch SCH 40 Adapter (2)
    3/4 GH x 3/4 Inch MIP fitting (2)
    4' - 6' Rubber washing machine fill hose
    PVC or All purpose cement - Jar
    Purple primer - 4 oz Jar
    Crazy glue (1)
    Teflon tape

Purchased at Hobby Lobby - In knitting section
    Plastic canvas /equivalent (1)
    - this is used to make screens to hold the carbon in the spa flex hose yet allow water to flow through

Step 1
    Wrap the 3/4 GH x 3/4 Inch MIP fitting with Teflon tape. Thread the pipe end of the fitting into the 1.5 x 3/4 Inch SCH 40 Bushing(you may use the All purpose cement for this). Note this fitting has both a pipe end and a hose end. You will notice that the threading is different. I would suggest test threading it before using the cement

Step 2
    Take the now mated 1.5 x3/4 Inch SCH 40 Bushing and3/4 GH x 3/4 Inch MIP fitting and apply Purple primer to the lower PVC half. This serves to clean the plastic in order to ensure a good bond between the PVC. Next use the PVC or All purpose cement to glue the 1.5 x3/4 Inch SCH 40 Bushing to the 1.5 Inch SCH 40 Adapter.

Step 3
    Use a marker to trace 3 circular templates on the Plastic canvas /equivalent using the 1.5 Inch SCH 40 Adapter. Cut these discs out and try to fit them on the inside of the 1.5 Inch SCH 40 Adapter . They will require some trimming. Once you have trimmed these to fit arrange them inside so that all are not aligned in the same direction. Once these have been fitted use the Crazy glue to attach them to the inside of the 1.5 Inch SCH 40 Adapter. Repeat steps 1-3 twice this step completes the fittings for either end of the carbon snake.

Step 4
    At this point you are ready to glue the fitting to the 1.5 Inch ID PVC Spa Flex Pipe. Apply the Purple primer to the last two inches of the 1.5 Inch ID PVC Spa Flex Pipe. Once the Purple primer has dried you are ready to glue the fitting to the hose. Now liberally apply the PVC or All purpose cement to the same area where the dry Purple primer was applied. Now shove the prepared fitting to the hose with as much force as possible.

Step 5
    Use a funnel to fill the hose with activated carbon. This is easier if you have three people. Have one on the far end stretch the hose. One on the still open filling in the carbon and one in the middle to shake the house so that you don't end up with loosely packed carbon.

Step 6
    Repeat step 4 with the second prepared fitting on the still open end.

Thats it, your done!

You can use the 4' Rubber washing machine fill hose to connect your snake to the your Python outlet adapter. On the other fitting you can hook up a regular hose to reach to your tanks. The inventor (John Crowder) takes it a step or two further and uses quick connects and other fittings to hook up to his water outlet of choice. Once you have the carbon snake built using the directions above you can use the fittings of your choice and modify it at will. Well I hope this helps those that were curious. If you have any questions you can either PM me or post in thread below.

One last important note - Hook your new carbon snake up to the water spigot outside and and blow out the extra carbon powder before using it to fill your tank. You will end up with nice black water if you don't. It will not harm your fish but blow it out before using on your tank and save yourself the hassell!

John - Please feel free to correct me anywhere I might have gone wrong.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Gene D; 11-06-2009, 12:08 PM.
    120g - Tropheus Moorii Kambwimba
    180g - Petrochromis Macrognathus Dine/Tropheus Moorii Namansi I

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wXYse9utYt0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wXYse9utYt0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by cichlid1409; 11-06-2009, 03:11 AM.
    25g - Reef
    3.5g - Surge Tank
    10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

nice!
      Jarrod - Houston, Texas
      150 gallon - my African cichlid monster tank (I know it isn't a big as yours)
      17 gallon - Threadfin rainbows and corys lightly planted
      5 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder
      3 gallon - planted red cherry shrimp breeder

Comment

Awesome. Thanks so much for posting this. I just saw cichlid1409's assembly and building one is on my short list of plans. Like maybe tomorrow! How is the flow rate using 1.5" hose? Also, does Lowe's have the carbon? I'm tired of running 75' of hose from my in-house filters.
        55g Planted- Malawi and Victorian Cichlids
        35g Cube- P. Saulosi, Petrochromis, Sunshine Peacocks
        20L Planted- RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Neon Tetras, Snails
        2.5g Planted- Snails, RCS

Comment

forgot this one

This is the bushing I forgot to get a picture of the adaptor
          Attached Files

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains"....Winston Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm"....Winston Churchill

Comment

great write up now it's time to do a video on youtube for us visual learners :)

--I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
            -Stephen Roberts

Comment

I am sorry but I do not know where the carbon came from. John was kind enough to give it to me from his personal stock. Watch this thread I am sure John will be along to answer any and all questions I can't

Comment

Originally posted by cameracorpus View Post
                Awesome. Thanks so much for posting this. I just saw cichlid1409's assembly and building one is on my short list of plans. Like maybe tomorrow! How is the flow rate using 1.5" hose? Also, does Lowe's have the carbon? I'm tired of running 75' of hose from my in-house filters.
                i've got enough to spare mike....
                25g - Reef
                3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

So you just shove the hose into the coupling and glue the crud out of it? In other words, it is a straight coupling on both ends?
                  55g Planted- Malawi and Victorian Cichlids
                  35g Cube- P. Saulosi, Petrochromis, Sunshine Peacocks
                  20L Planted- RCS, Ghost Shrimp, Neon Tetras, Snails
                  2.5g Planted- Snails, RCS

Comment

Originally posted by cameracorpus View Post
                    So you just shove the hose into the coupling and glue the crud out of it? In other words, it is a straight coupling on both ends?
                    Yes, lots of force and a lot of glue. It is an amazingly simple design

Comment

lol, you posted that enough times Gene? )
                      I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Sorry guys the PC is acting a little squirly, can one of the mods clean that up?

Comment

what r u guys talking about? )
                          25g - Reef
                          3.5g - Surge Tank

Comment

lol, that's wrong man.
                            I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid1123 View Post
                              great write up now it's time to do a video on youtube for us visual learners :)
                              agree......hehehe

Comment

Working...
                              X