Betta Bunkhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta Bunkhouse

So ok im gonna build a new system to hold some betta fish, first off its going to be 6"X6"X96" and it will have a number of sections in it. I believe 21 smaller sections each hold approx 3/4 gallon, but the complete unit will transfer water from all sections, then at the far end it has a drain system to the sewer. It enables me to do 100 percent water changes twice a day in just a few mins as opposed to a circulation system. Which I curently use.
    My question is this, I need something as a bulk head to put into a 1/2" diam hole to feed this section with fresh water.
    As well it needs to support a valve to turn it off and on, there will be a total of five of the 96" lengths and each one needs a valve to regulate and turn off water fill. And of course the other end needs a bulkhead but simply a drain and no valves as its just a run off when over filled.
    My question is this,
    1 I plan on using 1/8th in plexi, do you think its strong enough to support the weight of the valve, since there are more than one section each one having a valve with the weight be too great for the plexi/ .
    My second question is what would you use and how to setup something like this. Here is a really rough picture, you gotta use some imagination but each section will be supported on the wall by shelves.
    Last edited by PhishPhreek; 10-29-2009, 06:51 PM.
    I love to breed and show betta's!

Give it some time. The answers will come.

FF

Comment

fshfrk and Cichlid1409 are our resident DIY'ers. They should be online here in a little while. I'm betting they'll have some insight. :)

Welcome to the 'Box, by the way.
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

HEY! glad to see you came over, you will get the answers you are looking for in no time
          I make people happy

Comment

i would personally feel more comfortable using 1/4" plexi...
            I make people happy

Comment

Maybe it would help if I posted what I already have for a system. It hold 100 adults.

Comment

Are you using beanie baby boxes?
                Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

yes

Originally posted by fishboyt View Post
                  Are you using beanie baby boxes?
                  yes for now, but im not going to be...thats the reason for the questions about plexiglass.

Comment

Looks like a decent set up if you ask me...And WOW...nice betta...you need to bring some of your stock to the auction in 2 weeks!

Comment

There is a very good artical by Rob Panerio on how to build a similar acrilic betta barracks in Flare 42-1 definately worth your time.

However it doesn't go into bulkhead fittings.
                      I would think that you would be better off just doubling up the acrilic (extra 2" square piece inside & outside) and tapping it for FPT and incerting a PVC nipple, then mounting the valve at your manifold. I've been considering a similar batch system with landscape valves & timer.

J.R. Baker

Welcome to the Box
                      'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                      He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Yes I have the article, and am building it acording to his directions , however size is being doubles. Hey JR, didn't know you were on here!

Comment

How would you reccomend drilling plexi, I broke a few beannies when I drilled them, I sure don't want to break these parts. or crack them.??

Comment

Originally posted by bettafan View Post
                            How would you reccomend drilling plexi, I broke a few beannies when I drilled them, I sure don't want to break these parts. or crack them.??
                            The beanie boxes from what I have seen are more plastic then plexi. My husband works for a glass company, and does some plexi work...he has "special" bits that are for cutting/drilling plexi, just like you need a different bit for certain metals verses wood..... You may want to go to your local lowes/home depot/lumberyard for inquiring about such bits for drilling. I can ask my husband what they are called, or if he knows them by a specific name.....I will try to get some info from him when he gets home form work. Sorry I am not more help, but at least I can help to get you going the right way for parts. Also, you know you can order plexi from most glass shops right...usually is much cheaper then buying it sheet by sheet at the lumberyards....

Comment

For thin plastics I use my old woodburner / soldering iorn to melt small holes but you could use these

If you have a drill press

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Projects...name=Multi-Max Projects
                              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Working...
                              X