octopi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octopi

Has anyone here ever kept or considered keeping an octopus. What are your thoughts on it? What about endangered species?

I understand they're hard to keep. I read where some scientists were keeping octopi in a bunch of tanks in a lab, as well as a tank where they grew crabs to feed them with. Every morning, they began to find that a few crabs would be missing from their tank, but all the octopi were still in their aquaria. So they set up a night vision camera one night. The next day, they watched an octopus open the top of his aquarium, go to the crabs, slip in and eat a few, then go back to his aquarium. Sounds like quite a challenge, lol.

So what do you guys think?
    Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

I think that if you do, you need to keep an iron lid with crazy locks on top of the tank. Like you said, the biggest problem with these guys is that they are SOOOO smart and plot all day about how to get out of the tank and explore. :) They'll find a way out.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

lol... I almost wouldn't mind, except that they'd eat all my fish.
      Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Comment

lol sounds like a sweet pet...teach him to fetch!
        I make people happy

Comment

lol... Awesome idea.

So does anyone know what kinds of octopi would be appropriate? Tank size?

Comment

I had octopus before.

As sushi and cooked in garlic butter. mmmmm.
            PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

lol... You tie women to the railroad tracks when they won't give you the deed to their ranch, don't you? :P

Actually, I've had it, too. Pretty tasty when fresh enough not to have the consistency of rubber. I prefer the Greek method of preparing them, though (of course).

Anyway, from what I've read about them, they generally don't live that long, that might be a good way of celebrating their life after.

Okay, so maybe I'm a little evil, too.

Comment

do it!
                i think you may be able to get blue ring octopus, but they are deadly poisonous, and very small, like the size of your fist.

i LOVE octopus, they are easilly one of the most awesome, inteligent, and cute little sea creatures their are.

ohhhh, but theres always Yellow Crabs aswell

FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

mmmm
                  crab!
                  PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

saw this pic and thought it looked pretty cool, looks like a big piece of coral.
                    FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

That crab does look awesome. What else do you know about it?

I think I'd avoid a blue ring. For one, I wouldn't want to worry in case of handling and for another, the site I read on the subject said that they should really only be kept by expert cephalopod keepers.

What really scares me is that apparently most lfs that carry them have no idea what kind they have and whatever name they put on the tank is meaningless. You could wind up with an adult pygmy with a week to live or a baby giant that will grow bigger than you are.

I'm guessing no one here has had them (I mean as pets, Nick :P ). But I'll look for a forum.

When I get one, however far in the future that is, I'll post my experiences with it here.

Comment

Can't find a danged thing on yellow crabs. Do they have another name?

Comment

google yellow crabs, thats how i found the pic.
                          FRENCH FRY!!!

Comment

What the... that's what I searched!

Okay, so my dumb *** found it this time. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                              I think that if you do, you need to keep an iron lid with crazy locks on top of the tank. Like you said, the biggest problem with these guys is that they are SOOOO smart and plot all day about how to get out of the tank and explore. :) They'll find a way out.
                              +1 they will also tear up you equipment inside the tank.
                              25g - Reef
                              3.5g - Surge Tank
                              10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Working...
                              X