Help! Vacuumed Goldfish's Eye!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Vacuumed Goldfish's Eye!

I was vacuuming out my tank and my black moor goldfish got in the way. The vacuum sucked his eyeball out and he is bleeding. What should I do?
    Last edited by Mzungu; 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM. Reason: ambiguous title
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Is he going to be ok?

Comment

sorry to hear that.
      fishless

Comment

Anything I can do?

Comment

dang Treston, what kind of vaccum are you using ????
          i don't think there's much you can do at this point and maybe it will stop bleeding on it's own.

Comment

I had the part vacuum itself off and was using the hose. I had just put it in the tank and he went under it and it sucked it off. He stopped bleeding and is not acting much different. I hope he lives. I've had him for over 4 years.

Comment

If it has stopped bleeding, he should heal fine. I would put him in a tank by himself, if he's not already, and treat with a little melafix. Or, if no melafix, just be sure to keep the water clean to help him heal faster - but use the vacuum attachment next time!!

Hope he gets through it. Poor little guy. A black moor was my first fish. Long time ago.
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

+1 on the melafix in a sick tank.....
                glad to hear it stopped bleeding....just keep watching him for any signs of infection in the eye socket....
                sorry about that for you....

Comment

I can't put him in his own tank and do water changes every few days. Can I leave him in the tank he is in now? There are only 3 abn's and another goldfish in the tank.

Comment

He should be fine, but he will be missing an eye. I would put him in a qt tank until it heals or the others will picking at his eye socket.

Comment

How should I catch him to put him in the QT tank?

Comment

I find the easiest way to catch fish in a tank is dividing the tank. It's a lot easier than chasing it from one end to another. I use a rubbermaid tub lid and a big net. Other people use 2 nets to catch fish out of tanks.

Comment

He's not that fast. Should I put a small container in the tank and guide him into it with the net?

Comment

Yes, the container idea is great. You don't want to further harm or irritate that eye with a net or anything else rubbing against it.

Comment

Oh, wait, I misread your post. If you can catch him without using a net, and just by using the container, that would be best. :) Got any well-rinsed tupperware around?

Comment

Working...
                              X