Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not eating...

Hello,

I picked up two Crowntail Betta males about a week and a half ago. At first, neither was interested in eating- both just kind of hung in place and seemed depressed. However, one of them has since started eating (only flakes, though- had to go get him his own special food! ), and the other is just... not. Before, he would show interest in what I gave him and would sometimes eat a little that had sunk to the bottom. Now, he couldn't care less. I've tried pellets, flakes, even brine shrimp- and he just sits there. I've moved him over next to the girls to see if that would perk him up, I've moved him from my hallway, which doesn't get much sun, to my room, I have a lamp on over him right now- he kind of drifts around, but just doesn't seem to care much about life. Any suggestions?
    0.1 Appaloosa {Chica}
    1.0 Yellow Lab {Romeo}
    0.1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi {Fiona}
    1.0 Lynx-point Ragdoll {Ramses}
    0.1 Orange Citrus Bearded Dragon {Annabelle}
    2.0 Guinea Pigs {Baxter & Basil}
    1.0 Betta {Henry}

Where did you get him?

Have you tried bloodworms?
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
      Where did you get him?

Have you tried bloodworms?
      I got him (both of them) at Petco. I haven't tried bloodworms, but I'll see tomorrow if that sparks any interest. The main problem now is that he just doesn't care when any food enters his water.
      0.1 Appaloosa {Chica}
      1.0 Yellow Lab {Romeo}
      1.0 Betta {Henry}

Comment

Sounds like he is depressed. Just keep up what you are doing, giving him different options on food, changing his surroundings (showing him girls and boys), and keeping his home clean. I have found that with fresh mosquito larvae and a fun girl to show off to they eventually get out of their rut.
        Merritt Adkins
        Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
        Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
        The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

Ok, thanks. I'll try moving one of the boys over there today and see if I can spark any kind of response.
          0.1 Appaloosa {Chica}
          1.0 Yellow Lab {Romeo}
          1.0 Betta {Henry}

Comment

I saw something at Fish Gallery about a month ago and forgot about it, but this has jogged my memory. They had this "toy" - a floating ball that has a mirror suspended from it. You put it in the betta's tank for a few minutes and he reacts to it, flaring. Supposed to be good for a workout. I haven't tried it nor asked anyone about it, but unless someone has a bad experience I plan to get one for myself.

If it works out, it might be worth a try.
            Trogdor was a man. Or maybe he was a dragon man. Or maybe he was just a dragon. But he was still TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

You know, fish are great. I love my fish. But what I really want is a monkey.

Comment

Thanks- if I have this happen again, I may try it. The fish I was referring to in the previous message ended up dying the day after I posted this :( so I can't try it and let you know how it goes.
              0.1 Appaloosa {Chica}
              1.0 Yellow Lab {Romeo}
              1.0 Betta {Henry}

Comment

Originally posted by rrrc9b View Post
                Ok, thanks. I'll try moving one of the boys over there today and see if I can spark any kind of response.
                if you have a tub of water outside that has mosquito larva in it...you can try those...they always like live foods, something about moving food that can spark an interest!
                BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

Originally posted by lilmissruffcountry View Post
                  if you have a tub of water outside that has mosquito larva in it...you can try those...they always like live foods, something about moving food that can spark an interest!
                  Good idea! Thanks!
                  0.1 Appaloosa {Chica}
                  1.0 Yellow Lab {Romeo}
                  1.0 Betta {Henry}

Comment

So, I have another fish (also from Petco... let's just say I won't be buying any from them anymore) that has decided to watch his figure... meaning that he may, or may not, eat one pellet at meal times. Occasionally he will eat two, and sometimes (and this is when I get excited- sad, eh?) he will eat three. I give him food in the morning and at night, hoping that somehow he will get what he needs. However, most days he will only eat one pellet, and sometimes none. I don't understand how he's still doing ok. I'm going to look and see if I can find the floating mirror, but new suggestions? It's so cold up here that I think (and hope) that all of the mosquito larva are... incapacitated...

Again, I've moved him around like I did with the other one, and right now he's by my girls, which at first seemed to help but isn't doing anything anymore. I think putting him by the guys made him worse.
                    0.1 Appaloosa {Chica}
                    1.0 Yellow Lab {Romeo}
                    1.0 Betta {Henry}

Comment

I still say try bloodworms (frozen). Bettas go crazy for them!
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

could be depression, could be the food is not what he is used to, could be internal parasites, could be he hasn't adjusted to the different water parameters.

Make sure you do weekly water changes.

I like to "card" my males. place an index card between their jars so they cant see each other and then once a day remove the card for 15 min. so they get some exercise. Or you can float his jar in a tank of female bettas.

Nothing makes a betta happier than live wiggly food. Daphnia, skeeters, skuds or Brine shrimp should be available in the back yard or at your LFS.

Anytime you get a new fish you should put them in quarantine and if you don't know their history you may want to do some preventive medication.
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Ooh, I forgot about the bloodworms- and I was at Petsmart today. Dang!

And my post was misleading- I didn't just get this fish, I've had him for a while. He has been a picky eater, but only recently has he decided to not eat. But what do you mean by preventative medication?

He is unable to see the other males from where he is now- only females. I tried the mirror thing but got no response. I will definitely try floating him with the females, though. And I have a bucket outside that may have some mosquito larva in it- but with the cold weather we've been having, I'm not sure there will be any currently...
                          0.1 Appaloosa {Chica}
                          1.0 Yellow Lab {Romeo}
                          1.0 Betta {Henry}

Comment

Working...
                          X