Make it yourself fish food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make it yourself fish food?

I just came across this while looking for a good cichlid formula (that two I've usedd cloud the water).

Look at the european recipe, seems good to me, but I have around 15 africans and also bala sharks, an angel fish and two purple gobys, oh, and a few tiger barbs and a small spotted puffer.

The recipe seems easy enough to make and cheap too, you guys think it would be a good idea to make it and feed the fish regular tropical flake along with this recipe? also I was thinking on adding a clove of garlic to the recipe.
    I dream of a Flagtail prochilodus!

are those fish all in same tank? spotted puffer is brackish

Comment

Yep, the gobys too, i use salt on my tank and they are all acive and healthy, or course, I use a litle salt. BTW, the gobys are about 13 inches now. : D
      Last edited by MexicanFish; 09-12-2009, 01:25 PM.

Comment

That's a pretty good recipe. Moody Gardens uses a similar recipe, with a few tweaks for specific needs. My personal suggestions are as follows:

1. Use a variety of plants, rather than just peas. Veggies are a good source of nutrition, but as with humans, diversity is important.Try sweet potatoes, spinach, and parsley as well. Variety is important.

2. Garlic is good to increase appetite. Add a clove or 2 with the veggies.

3. Regular fish food is a good source for guaranteed basic nutrition. It can be added to your prepared food, rather than bashing your head against a wall trying to get your fish everything you need. Sometimes pellets for ponds are cheaper because they are in bulk. Adding them guarantees a solid base for your fish.

4. Vitamin C is very important for saltwater fish, but it really can't hurt freshwater fish. Check the back of your vitamins to see if it has a high vitamin C content. If you want to increase your Vitamin C, you can add orange juice. It's important that you not add any pulp.
        75 planted (Being Renovated)
        Endlers
        gobies
        lots of nanos

Comment

Originally posted by Sea-agg09 View Post
          That's a pretty good recipe. Moody Gardens uses a similar recipe, with a few tweaks for specific needs. My personal suggestions are as follows:

1. Use a variety of plants, rather than just peas. Veggies are a good source of nutrition, but as with humans, diversity is important.Try sweet potatoes, spinach, and parsley as well. Variety is important.

2. Garlic is good to increase appetite. Add a clove or 2 with the veggies.

3. Regular fish food is a good source for guaranteed basic nutrition. It can be added to your prepared food, rather than bashing your head against a wall trying to get your fish everything you need. Sometimes pellets for ponds are cheaper because they are in bulk. Adding them guarantees a solid base for your fish.

4. Vitamin C is very important for saltwater fish, but it really can't hurt freshwater fish. Check the back of your vitamins to see if it has a high vitamin C content. If you want to increase your Vitamin C, you can add orange juice. It's important that you not add any pulp.
          Thanks! this is what I'm thinking on using:

whole shrimp
          some salmon
          peas
          broccoli
          sweet potatoes
          v8 juice
          spirulina
          multivitamin drops
          the gelatin
          and garlic.

I can probably eat the stuff too )

Comment

You can eat it, but it just tastes like something out of an old shoe. Watch the V8, because it has preservatives and other nasties. You may want to skip on the salmon. Salmon and other red-meat fish are very high in protein. Remember that real gelatin is made from bone, and is packed with protein. Many fish and other vertebrates cannot handle that amount of protein, and die from kidney failure. Just do a bit of research on dietary needs of your fish. If they don't need the protein, then no sense throwing the extra money away for salmon.

Also, krill is good to use for the shrimp component, but regular shrimp is fine as well. Don't add the shells into the mix, because a blender may not chop it up fine enough, not to mention ruin your blade. I suggest the "cheap" frozen stuff in the bags that are peeled. Krill you can use whole because they have a very thin shell.

WARNING: Your kitchen will smell like a pair of REALLY old gym socks. Do not attempt this before you want to eat, or you will lose your appetite.
            Last edited by Sea-agg09; 09-13-2009, 01:39 PM.
            75 planted (Being Renovated)
            Endlers
            gobies
            lots of nanos

Comment

Working...
            X