Bathtub pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathtub pond

So I picked up a used bathtub shell today and wanted to make a small size pond in my backyard. The tub will hold about 85 gallons. It will be going under some trees so will stay partly sh added most of the day.

I have a few questions.
    What is the best way to plug the drain? The tub also has jets, but that should be easily plugged by capping the pvc pipes right?

I have a filter(link below) but no pump. The filter is rated for 800 gph(much more than what i need, but I have it so why not use it). Question is what is the cheapest pump i could hook it up to. Would a powerhead work if i run tubing from the outlet of it to the inlet of the filter? If so what is the smallest powerhead in terms of ghp I could use(i need to stay a bit on the cheap side for this). I think this would work but I am unsure if it will be able to create any lift. Plans currently are to put the filter level with the pond surface. The inlet of the filter is about 8 inch high. I was wanting to do a small waterfall cascade coming from the outlet of the filter. Will a powerhead be enough?

This is the filter http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...850&lpage=none

Lastly what kind of fish could I put in there. It may be too small to fit a nice amount of goldfish. And perhaps it would be too cold in the winter for mollies, platies or other fish of that nature. I want it to be planted as well. Would a couple goldfish and 20 or so rosey red or minnows work for year round?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Somefishguy; 09-04-2009, 11:26 AM.

A good rule of thumb is to get a pump that is rated to move half the water in your pond every hour. So, if you get a 40gph pump, it will move 960gpd. How high will the pump have to lift the water? You may need to get a 100gph pump.
    Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

from the water level to the highest point it will probably be 12-16 inches

Comment

I have no clue as to all the hardware stuff, sorry. But your fish plan sounds good to me. Just try to get goldfish like shubunkins or comets, that body-type; they swim better than the really fancy types and can escape predation easier. :)
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Yea, I think a few goldfish and some smaller minnows or rosy reds is the way I am going to go.

Ive decided to do something similar to this, except mine will be rectangular instead of square. Depending on where i decide to stick it i may even build some bench seating on it as well.
          http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2839728520056324367sYowHs

As for the filter. I am just going to stick the barrel filter inside the tub, and attach it to a powerhead. I assume this should work with no problems. I will then try to run the outlet hose from the filter into an overflow box to create a small waterfall effect. Ill just play around with it. Think a powerhead rated for 140gph will be enough?

Anyone know how to seal the drain hole?
          Last edited by Somefishguy; 09-04-2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I think 140gph will be fine. :)
            Fish are people too, they just have gills.

Comment

for sealing the drain hole you could probably have a piece of glass cut to fit it and then silicone it in place. or just buy a drain plug...

Comment

Little update.

Sealed the tub yesterday with rubber stoppers and silicone. Holds water just fine. Got the framework and outside planks put on today. Tomorrow I will get the rest of the trim on it and get stain it all. Also picked up a 15$ 160gph petco powerhead, and hooked it up to the filter. It is up and running great. If I have time i will come up with some kind of water feature for the water to come out of.

It should be done tomorrow and I will e picking up some feeder goldfish tomorrow to cycle it, then once that is done I will see what I want to stock it with.

I will try and snap a couple pics tomorrow.

Anyone have some pond plants they would like to sale me... I dont need many as its only 85 gallons. I am on the southeats side byt

Comment

tomorrow? its been 10 days we want pics!!!!

Comment

Sorry, been busy and hadnt got around to it. Not completely done yet, but this is my start.

Comment

sweet.....very nice job....

Comment

nice....although the white tub sticks out somewhat, it will be alot easier to see your fish...I like it....

Thanks for sharing the pics...

CF
                        Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Yea i was a bit torn on whether to line it with black or not, but figured algae would cover it and plan on getting it heavily planted so i didnt worry too much.

Still needs some work on landscaping around the pond area, and getting some more plants on the inside.

Currently have rosy reds and goldfish, but I may ditch the goldfish next spring and stick livebearers

Comment

Working...
                          X