The 1275's journal...lets see how it goes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1275's journal...lets see how it goes

K..the glass finally got delivered, here are a couple pics of it. I will try to keep up with the photos on the phases as it gets built. No luck of cutting the glass down to make smaller tanks either. The glass is tempered, so its all or nothin! Good thing the glass was free....lol...he said if it don't work with this glass, he'll order some that will for sure. So looks like either way, this beast is a project he is wanting to follow through with. Wish us luck!

BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Is this is 3/4" or 1" glass?
    And since this is tempered glass what are you going to use for the cross-bracing, long bracing and interior seam bracing?
    Where are you getting your PVC bottom from?
    What are the plans for strapping the tank on the outside? Built into a wall perhaps?
    Last edited by bethesdaboy; 09-04-2009, 11:13 AM.
    www.txtropheustraders.com

Comment

what is the weight of the glass as is?
      215g Malawi Peacocks and Mbuna
      180g Tropheus Ikola and Bemba and Clown Loaches
      58g Bristlenose breeding and grow out

Comment

Originally posted by SteveCGG View Post
        what is the weight of the glass as is?
        Have no idea the weight....but I know 2 grown men that work glass 5 days a week, both grunted an made a few other noises during the movement.

Comment

Originally posted by bethesdaboy View Post
          Is this is 3/4" or 1" glass?
          And since this is tempered glass what are you going to use for the cross-bracing, long bracing and interior seam bracing?
          Where are you getting your PVC bottom from?
          What are the plans for strapping the tank on the outside? Built into a wall perhaps?
          1. Think he said 3/4 inch beveled tempered glass that is 54x101.

2. He is welding the frame, is going to be similar to the 162 he built, but he will also have 2 braces that run from top to bottom in the viewing area, so it will look like 3 tanks vs 1.

3. He has to build the thing first before I go get any pvc.

4. He wants to put it on the back porch, which is a 4x4 square beam welded frame with 2x12 treated boards, an "I" beam center braces....he built the porch too...actually he built the whole house if you really want to get down to things....lol....so as far as weight load, he knows what is where. He has all the plans either getting writen, or in his head(what a mess it is up there)...so unitl he lets me know more that I can understand enough to relay....that is all I know. It's his litle project, so we will see.

I will let ya'll know more, as he lets me know more....

Comment

So he is going to weld a box around the tank out of metal, I see.
            I think you miss understood me on the PVC.
            I am talking about a PVC bottom for the tank, this is something you very much want to have.

Comment

bethesdaboy, can you please explain. I am planning on doing the same thing to a 300 I'm working on. PVC under the frame??????

FF

Comment

pvc bottom plane instead of a glass bottom. thicker, more forgiving for rock work and such. great start, keep us posted.

Comment

So he is going to weld a box around the tank out of metal, I see.
                  I think you miss understood me on the PVC.
                  I am talking about a PVC bottom for the tank, this is something you very much want to have.
                  Nope..did not understand the pvc I guess...please explain so I can show him...he really does need some other input on this besides me.....

Comment

Just an example, with a few pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like:

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

1" PVC as the bottom pane.
                      Under the tanks I always put insulation board, the 0.5" stuff, works well for minor inconsistencies in leveling especially when spanning large distances.

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu View Post
                        Just an example, with a few pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like:

http://www.kingfishaquarium.com/agecustomaquariums.htm

Most helpful...just hope he understands it....Thanks

Comment

1" PVC as the bottom pane.
                          Under the tanks I always put insulation board, the 0.5" stuff, works well for minor inconsistencies in leveling especially when spanning large distances.
                          Thanks. Never thought of the insulation board part.....good idea!

Comment

So where would said person buy 1" PVC? Local hareware store...
                            Will you still use GE 1 to silicone it together or is there something special to ues??

FF

Comment

Working...
                            X