How do I properly photo my fishes????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I properly photo my fishes????

I have a good camera , Canon power shot S5IS with 8.0 mega pixels,12X zoom an image stablizer. I try to get pictures of my fishes...but they still end up blurry, or if not blurry...I can't get the close up detail. It has a bunch of different settings, an I think I have tried all of them. Is there a trick to getting a good pic of your fishes that I am missing? Help....
    BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Yes! First off, turn off the flash and make sure the light over the tank is bright.

I'll leave the actual settings to those camera experts here on HFB. I learned how to set mine (I have almost your exact camera, yours is better, though) from another fishkeeping website. The poster basically just posted the best values for each of the settings on your camera. I need to look that up, actually, so I'll do that and post it later tonight, if I can find a link. But over a year has passed and I need to go and find those settings again and reset my camera. The pics I'm taking could be better.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I actually keep my flash on. Just angle your shot so you don't get the big flash reflection.

If you are getting blurry shots, you need a faster shutter speed. I don't know your camera, but you should be able to look up the specifics (Pg. 65 of your Advanced User Manual).
      Our Fishhouse
      Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

I turn off the room lights and camera flash and leave the tank lights on. My canon is self adjusting as to shutter speed and focus. I could probably use a tripod to get better shots...it takes me several dozen shots sometimes to get one good pic.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

You might find this link useful. The website has tons of other good info.
          I ate my fish that died.

Comment

new photos

So do these look alright?

BEWARE Guard GUPPIES On Duty!

Comment

If your camera has a macro setting (it most likely does) use that to get the highly detailed photos. The only variable is getting the fish to cooperate since you have to be within a few inches of them. Its common to take 20 pics before getting a good one. It takes patience and persistence!
              <*||||>< <*||||>< <*||||><

Comment

I agree. :) I think your camera is similar to mine - on mine the macro setting can be turned on by pushing the buttom that has a flower icon, which is located on the left side of the lens close to the body of the camera. If you press and hold the button for a second or two, you activate the "supermacro" setting, which I love and tend to use more often if the fish aren't one of those incredibly active species like tropheus or barbs.
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Faster shutter speed would help too.
                  Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                  Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                  Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I would crop the picture. Most programs allow you to cut out the part of the picture you want.

So I would cut out the bottom part and the top water line. This makes the picture look cleaner cause it just has the fishes in it.
                    I ate my fish that died.

Comment

Working...
                    X