DIY CO2 and Reactor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY CO2 and Reactor

So i ventured out and setup a DIY yeast system. It is a 2 liter bottle, with check valve and airstone. I did not do a bubble counter. I also setup a reactor to create a finer mist of CO2. Mine is similar and based on this except I used a table top fountain pump, have an airstone and used batting as the cover. The CO2 has started reacting and producing bubble already pretty well(3 hours since i mixed up the solution). The reactor makes a very very fine mist so looks all good.

Questions are.
    1) Can this be to much CO2 for a 5 gallon tank. Do i need to worry about anything. Its is a cherry shrimp tank. I also will turn off the pump at night and just let the bubble stone blow out CO2. What should I check for, or should I be ok?

2) As stated the mist is very fine, but it seems to stay in the area of the reactor. Is this ok, or do I need to come up with a way to disperse the mist more evenly throughout the tank? If so any suggestions. Currently it is on the side, but perhaps i can position it in the middle next to the HOB intank. What do people so with glass diffusers? How do you get it to disperse, or should I not worry about it?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Somefishguy; 08-06-2009, 12:32 AM.

Very clever; makes me want to add CO2 to my 125 South American tank. And the vodka /white lightening is a bonus.

Comment

You want the CO2 dispersed throughout the tank so if you can tell that it's not being dispersed, then you need to make a change. Either find a way to increase the water flow around the reactor or move the reactor to an area of increased water flow. Moving it close to your HOB filter is probably the easiest solution.

It is possible to overdose CO2. However, I haven't heard of it being much of an issue with yeast based CO2 simply because you don't get that much CO2 from those. But given the size of your tank, you may want to add a drop checker. This will not only give you some idea of how much CO2 is really coming out from your yeast, but also tell you if you're even close to risking an overdose.

Glass dispersers are very similar to what you're doing, just in a different way. The concept is that the CO2 bubbles must be dissolved in the water before it can escape out of the little holes in the ceramic plug at the top. I've never used one, but a lot of people like them with yeast setups because they do not require a lot of pressure to work.

Keeping with your DIY theme, I remember seeing a DIY drop checker somewhere. Google around, and I bet you can find a lot of different ideas.
      Vicki

• 90g Planted - Journal - New Pics Mar23
      • 75g Planted - Journal (on PT)
      • 29g Planted - Journal
      • 29g Planted
      • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Here are a few DIY drop checker ideas that should get your imagination going:

Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
        • 29g Planted
        • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Thanks.

I did move the reactor closer to the center of the tank and HOB. Seem the mist is more evenly dispersed now. All in all it seems to be working as now all my plants are pearling too .

Ill probably add a drop checker, but after do some research I dont think I have to much to worry about.

Thanks, If i can get my cam to work then maybe ill upload a video of the reactor.

Comment

Hahaha! So innovative! Thank you complexity! Where do you get the solution for the checker?

Please upload the video SomeFishGuy! I'd love to see it!

Comment

I've just ordered it when I've ordered other stuff, such as my dry ferts. It last a long time and is pretty cheap.
              Vicki

• 29g Planted - Journal
              • 29g Planted
              • 5g Planted RCS

Comment

Working...
              X