Goldfish floating upside down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldfish floating upside down

Ok, I have an old gold fish, about 5-7 yrs old. He is floating upside down. I have been treating him with the antibacterial food pellets (thinking it may be swim bladder). It has been since Sunday night and he's not getting better. There's been no change. There are other fish in the tank, unaffected by this. What do I do? I don't want him to die. Please help. Thank you.
    Last edited by Puppydoglover; 07-29-2009, 08:15 PM.

I also did a 50% water change and have tested the water, which is fine. Not sure what else I can do to help him. Should he be isolated?

Comment

I'm thinking swim bladder too... starve him for a couple days and then feed shelled peas for 3 days. The peas help push air bubbles out the the digestive tract. The fact that you've been treating with antibacterial food minimizes the chace that it is a bacterial problem.

How long has he been like this?
      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

Floating upside down

It started 3 nights ago. It has been exactly 72 hours.

Comment

Did it start after feeding? What type of food do you feed? Any recent changes in food?
          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

THey get fed early morning and late afternoon. It seemed to start with no warning. I feed them Wardley goldfish flake food. Is there something better to feed them?

Comment

you should soak the food in a cup of fish water for a few minutes and then fead them the food.

Swim bladder is caused by to much breathing in air at the surface. Also make sure the tank has good filtration and surface agitation so they dont ever gasp for air at the surface.

Comment

He's still upside down

He won't touch the peas. Will someone please help me ? I don't want my fish to die. Thank you so much

Comment

Keep trying with the peas. He'll probably get hungry enough in another couple of days.

Sorry. :(
                  "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

GF

Don't worry, the goldfish won't die. I have 2, one likes to float upside down all the time. He does that because it's easier for him. He eats a lot and gulps in air a lot too so it takes effort to swim right side up. He only turns over when I come near to feed him.

Good water helps, the peas is a good try. Don't overfeed them is the best.

I used to feed mine twice a day and by quite a bit . After I cut down to once a day, he does not do that hardly any more.

Comment

He died Sunday nite. He only lasted less than a week after it started. The only thing I was able to get him to eat was some corn once. He still didn't make it. It's very sad. I had him for years. thanks for trying to help anyways

Comment

Oh, I'm so sorry. :( You tried your best, though.

Comment

I did try. I did everything I could and tried to get as much info as possible from so many different people/resources to try and save him. Too bad there's no fish doctors like they have for cats/dogs. I would have spent money to get him treated. No kidding. He was my baby.

Comment

There are doctors for fish. Just not many.

Comment

When beautiful koi are worth thousands of dollars.... there are vets to treat them... just got to find one..

Comment

Working...
                              X