Carbon Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Filter

So I have been working on a DIY carbon filter for refilling my tanks. I started with a standard 2" PVC. I used a U-tube in order to have a drain to drain out the carbon when it gets old. On one end of the PVC tubing I took two filter floss and wrapped the filter in a carbon bag that you can get a Petsmart. I wanted to make sure that no smaller pieces of carbon will clog the filter floss. I attached them to the tubing using epoxy glue and silicone just for good measure. Hope you all enjoy it wasnt that hard to make and I think it turned out well.

Resident fish bum
    330G FOWLR
    34G Reef
    330G Discus biotopish (no longer running)
    28G JBJ Reef (no longer running)
    Treasurer, GHAC

hey man looks good so far. but you might need alot more pass. hook that over your tank and you are 1/2 way there. put the carbon snake under it(for pass). You will have to trickle the water in the tank with that setup and change the carbon often.
    I made my latest with 1" spa flex but am not happy with the flow. the 1 1/2" works much better for flow. Maybe it's 1/2 fittings verses 3/4". I just think you need more pass. GOOD LUCK!

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I tested it last night and it flows pretty good. The thing I am worried about is that it might flow to well and not have enough time to react with the carbon but that might be because I tested with no carbon in it. I am getting the testers today so I will test the water tonight or tomorrow to see if it had the desired results.
      Resident fish bum
      330G FOWLR
      34G Reef
      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Most of the commercial carbon filters I have had, only use a little carbon I'll say about 1/3 of what the canister can hold but them again is a different system.
        Perhaps John can elaborate more in this.
        Also I know this may sound crazy but I hardly ever have to change the carbon and it works just fine and the same goes for ADG as far as I understand Jeff once told he serviced many large tanks weekly and used the same Carbon filters for years!
        Luis

Comment

If I can get this to last a year or so since this will be limited use during water changes only I will be happy and it will save me money in the long run.
          Resident fish bum
          330G FOWLR
          34G Reef
          Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Originally posted by Navarro View Post
            Also I know this may sound crazy but I hardly ever have to change the carbon and it works just fine and the same goes for ADG as far as I understand Jeff once told he serviced many large tanks weekly and used the same Carbon filters for years!
            Luis
            +1. :) Just don't ask me why! All I've ever heard is how quickly carbon is "exhausted," but that might be because in a tank's filter water is constantly running through it, whereas with a carbon filter bottle water only runs through it a half a dozen times a day or so. *shrug*
            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I think it does two different things. 1) Absorbs organics 2) Reacts with chlorine

Comment

Well I tested the water out of the tap and it came back
                0 Chlorine
                0-.25 Ammonia
                5.0 Nitrate
                .25 Nitrite

Not good to test its ability to remove Chlorine as apparently there is none I even added a drop of bleach to make sure there wasnt anything wrong with the test. Which there wasnt. But the weird thing is I tested the water after the filter and the Nitrites went to 0 but the Ammonia actually went to a solid .25. Any thoughts on how this could be?
                Resident fish bum
                330G FOWLR
                34G Reef
                Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Did a water change on the discus tank with no issues and no use of prime. I want it to rain so I can test the water before and after during that time since the city will probably dump chemicals in at that time.
                  Resident fish bum
                  330G FOWLR
                  34G Reef
                  Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

About that ammonia I have no ideal. What type of chlorine test are you using?

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

Sensafe EPA approved strips. I went the cheap route only because they were EPA approved
                      Resident fish bum
                      330G FOWLR
                      34G Reef
                      Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

why couldnt you jus use a water hose? instead of those expinsive jacuzzi line or hose or whatever?
                        210 gallon ~ S/A, C/A build; jaguar, dovii, flowerhorn, gold doviI, 2 red devils, pacu, shovel nose cat
                        125 gallon long ~ African cichlids
                        10 gallon ~ ghost shrimp breeding (fish treats) haha

Comment

diameter too small

Comment

just a side thought, as long as you guys are using those carbon bags from the pet store- you can also just use knee high stockings, or cut the feet out of stockings to hold the carbon. That's what the guys at Moody gardens did when I did my internship there.

Comment

True didnt think of that one
                              Resident fish bum
                              330G FOWLR
                              34G Reef
                              Treasurer, GHAC

Comment

Working...
                              X