Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quinine sulfate powder

Thought this message was worth passing on - PP

After the thread on velvet and hex posted on Betterbettas, I called the FISH PHARMACEUTICAL CO. to order some nitrofurazone powder. I was able to speak to the owner, who is also the chemical pharmacist and adviser for the company, and when I told him what I wanted and why I wanted it, he informed me that there was something much better for exterior parasites on fish such as velvet and hex. He recommended quinine sulfate powder. I bought both products and received them several weeks ago. I have a 400 gallon vat where I can prepare water with chlorine removal and/or any treatment I need for my fish so I mixed up 400 gallon of water that was treated with quinine sulfate. The instructions are explicit. 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallon of water. one teaspoon for 40 gallons, 10 teaspoons for 400 gallon of water. I actually added only 3 tablespoons [9 teaspoons] because of the easy measurement and I treated about 700 fish in gallon jars with this mixture. The next morning I woke up to over half of my betta collection dead. Yes, even the BOS red DT male from the Indianapolis show was dead. It is a tremendous setback. I did not treat any of my grow-out tanks or the very young fish in quart jars and there were 15 to 20 pairs of breeders set aside that did not get treated so I did not loose most of my lines. I spent that whole day trying to save the fish that weren't dead and the next day cleaning out the gallon jars from the fish that were dead. Now, this experience is in the past. My betta breeding will continue.
    I bring up this alert for you because, like Wally says, I should warn everyone. In doing this I want you to know that in no way am I disputing the FISH PHARMACEUTICAL CO. nor do I blame them for any of my misfortunes. I am not in any way saying the product does not work. I am only letting you know of my experience so you can make your own judgment. I should know better. All my life when it came to a new product I wanted to try, I would run an experimental test with just a few fish. NOT THIS TIME. I jumped head in and suffered the consequence. Remember this lesson and never treat all your fish with anything until you try it on just a few first. Take this experience I have had as a learning step for your own fish and be careful with quinine sulfate. Jack
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

OUCH!
    PLECOS SUCK!

https://www.facebook.com/NickInTex1970

Comment

sorry to hear that PP .... lesson learned, thanks for sharing you experience with this fish poison.
      25g - Reef
      3.5g - Surge Tank
      10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Quninine sulfate is great to treat saltwater fish. I have never had any of mine die. We used it to treat sharks, rays and puffers without any deaths. That is strange that it killed your bettas. Sorry that it happened.
        Merritt Adkins
        Science Adviser/Marine Biologist

Got a question? Ask A Marine Biologist!

Check these cool sites out!
        Captive Aquatics: Houston Aquarium Service, Houston Aquarium Installation, and more!
        The Captive Aquatics Blog: aquarium articles, pictures, videos, product reviws, and more!

Comment

Sorry! thanks for the advice.

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

kind of sounds like me trying a new water conditioner on my Dub tank...believe me, lesson learned.
            250gallon-Wild Angels, community

Comment

God that sucks!!! Sry man and thanks for the warning!
              140 New World Cichlids
              125 African Lakes Victoria and Malawi
              80 Lake Tanganyika (Burundi Frontosas)
              30 Pundamilia Neyerie Ruti Island group
              29 Tropical Semi Aggressive/Community
              And to think....in January it was just the 29...)

Comment

Working...
              X