monster stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monster stand

just started on this today. this is what i got so far.
    Last edited by Rico; 07-07-2009, 03:47 PM.
    fishless

COOL! You might want to scab on some 2x4's under the horizontals for support so it's not just nails or screws holding it up. I know you have the 2x4"s in the middle but I would support the 4 corners too. Looks good.
    Last edited by fshfrk; 05-24-2009, 06:36 PM. Reason: edit

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

i used these on all the joints
      Last edited by Rico; 07-07-2009, 03:47 PM.
      fishless

Comment

it will be holding two 75g at the bottom and a 240g on top.
        fishless

Comment

by any chance did you buy that 240g in lake jackson that was on craigslist?
          FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

ok

Trophs & Petros ONLY

Comment

I wouldn't have mitered the corners 45 deg.
              I prefer to but them up and use a couple of 1/4" x 4" lag screws (counter sunk 1/2") and lots of carpenters glue.

But it looks good and those metal brackets won't rust out in your lifetime.
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by EaRtHeAtEr View Post
                by any chance did you buy that 240g in lake jackson that was on craigslist?
                na this is an old tank that my uncle had in his garage. it leaks but i will try to reseal the whole tank.
                fishless

Comment

Originally posted by young rico View Post
                  it will be holding two 75g at the bottom and a 240g on top.
                  more support
                  25g - Reef
                  3.5g - Surge Tank
                  10g - Ichthyophthirius multifilis breeding colony

Comment

Originally posted by young rico View Post
                    na this is an old tank that my uncle had in his garage. it leaks but i will try to reseal the whole tank.
                    NICE!!!

post pics when its up and running.
                    FRENCH FRY!!!

55g - Vieja Synspilum 'Biotope'

Comment

Originally posted by cichlid1409 View Post
                      more support
                      i know i need more support just can think of where. i cant put much on the front because i wont be able to put the 75g in. i do plan on adding more 2x4's on the sides and back.
                      fishless

Comment

use 2x6 or 2x8 on the top
                        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
                        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

use 2x6 or 2x8 on the top or even a 4x6 if you can find them

Comment

If you have the room use the 2X8's they won't bend any more than the 4X6 and are easier to find untreated. The amount a beam will bend over a given length is a constant, I assume you are using all pine, so this is the same for all the cross pices. So then it is just the higth squared X the width. To compare the 2X8 is 64 X 2 = 128. The 4X6 is 36 X 4 = 128 or the same. Another way to make a very stiff support would be to make a torsion box. In this case use 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood the size of the tank footprint. Frame around the outside then make a grid of 2X4's inside the frame. Glue and screw (1 1/4" wood screws not sheetrock screws) the plywood faces to the frame and grid. Make sure that it is flat once assembled if it not flat you will never be able to pull it flat. Rico You did not see all my tools when you picked up the glass for that 75 but I have been getting tools to outfit my shop for over 30 years.
                            Richard Douglas

Comment

ok so the post should be fine right? the main thing is to make sure the top beams dont bend so think ill just run 2x4's all the way across side by side. would this work? i already have alot of 2x4's and dont want to not use what i paid for. i think next time i really should do some brainstorming before buying the lumber.
                              fishless

Comment

Working...
                              X