The Classic Aquarist dread;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Classic Aquarist dread;

A leak in a 65 ( 36 X 18 X 24deep). It is an older tank (regular glass+RTV), but has been in the same spot (and full) for about 3 years. I think it has been leaking for about a day ,about 2 gal. Wet spot on the floor (ceramic, greatfully); I traced it back to a vertical corner ,about 10" above the bottom. About 2 drops/sec.
    In order to stay with "dread" and not progress to "nightmare"; I put a clamp at the leak spot to hold the tank together. As I tightened it , water squirted out from about a 3" length. So , I can forget the possibility of sealing a pinhole.
    I reassembled a 55 a few years ago and it was more trouble than it was worth. Maybe I have a new terrarium.
    Any suggestions ?:icon_hang:

Terrarium sounds like a good idea.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

looks like you've got an excuse to buy a bigger aquarium my friend
      ‎Haiku's are easy
      But sometimes they don't make sense
      Refrigerator

Comment

Wish I could offer a fix for you. Ever kept poison arrow frogs? A 65 gal terrarium would be really cool with some frogs, plants, a little waterfall and pool.

Mark
        What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

i doont look at resealing as that big a deal. you just get a friend to help do it, if you search on here there are at least a few threads with helpful suggestions, painters tape and plastic spoons being two helpful ideas when actually putting on new sealant. I just cant waste a tank because of less then ten bucks worth of materials, just make sure to get the plain silicone, i accidentally got the white kitchen stuff one time and had to hightail it back to homedepot so i wouldnt ruin the seal. Also a razor blade holder makes it ten times easier to get out the silicone.

So i say go for it, its just an afternoon of work, and you probably would have wasted it anyway if your anything like me lol
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President
          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

I will probably try to save it ; but I believe it is structural and not just a leak that need a seal. So I will take out the end. It is an Oceanic with thick glass; harder to handle than a 125.
            OR-
            For sale - 65, comes with free 1" pipe clamp.

Comment

Working...
            X