90 Gallon Oceanic Into Discus Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 Gallon Oceanic Into Discus Tank

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and I had some questions about starting a discus tank.

I have a 90 gallon Oceanic Tank with a 2217 Eheim Canister Filter.

I wanted to start a Discus tank with around 5-6 Discus, some tetras, and a couple of hi fin loaches.

I was wondering if I needed a bigger filter, any specific light, decor suggestions, gravel suggestions, and other tank mates? Also is a powerhead suggested?

Also, what temperature should I keep the tank? Ph level?

Any suggestions or thoughts, please let me know.

Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of discus! For people on this board I'd talk to szidlon and wesleydunder. They have a lot of experience and are very generous with their knowledge.

I personally keep my 90g at 85 and the ph is out of the tap, which is around 7.2-7.4.

In my tank I have checkerboard turqs, cardinals, rams, julii catfish and a horseface loach. I think the high fin loach probably wouldn't do well in those temps. They are more of a cool water fish.

I also use an Eheim 2217, but along with that I have two Hydor V filter sponges.

Are you planning on growing up juvie discus or starting with adults? If adults than whatever decor you want or like works well. I am growing up juvies and have pool filter sand, rocks, manzanita and fake plants, which looks great, but is real PITA! If I had to do it again I'd go bare bottom until the discus grew up and then add everything else. Juvie discus really need daily or every other day water changes and let me tell you those little buggers are dirty! On the flip side they are also stunning and worth the aggravation that I've given myself by having rocks, etc in the tank.
    Karen

Comment

im planning on getting juveniles. so i should do 10% water change every other day?

Comment

Unfortunately no. I change between 50-70 every day. And for me the minimum would be that much every other day. If juvies don't have lots of water changes and good nutrition they end up stunted.

Another good resource for info is simplydiscus.com
        Karen

Comment

I would add more filtration, with the higher temps oxygen becomes a problem and having more circulation will aid in the gas exchange.

Also it helps when doing filter cleanings giving you the option of alternating between the two to avoid shocking the beneficial bacteria.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

when you do the water changes, do you age the water? also, do u keep the fish in the tank when you do the water change?

Comment

Nope, I don't age. I use a python to take the water out and vacuun add Prime to the tank and add the water back in (at the same temp of 85)
              Karen

Comment

so u basically put the same water back in?

Comment

I would be careful with doing so.... I see that your location is Sharpstown and I have had a few people show me Nitrite in the water supply.
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Hmmmm I don't know anything about Sharpstown water but I put clean water from the tap back in. The dirty water is flushed down the sink.
                    Karen

Comment

Visit HAW and ask for Dan, He's the one who can help you with you project, he is very friendly and also has good quality Discus (best in Houston IMO).
                      This is the link http://www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com/

Comment

alright thanks a lot. i will contact dan in a few days.

Should I just buy a larger filter?

Comment

Either that or add another 2217, I would go with the later route.
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

what is later route? sorry im not used to a lot of terms yet.

Comment

add another 2217.
                              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
                              X