Hood Fans - Blow In or Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Fans - Blow In or Out?

I'm trying to install a fan into my DIY hood.
    Should it be blowing into the hood or out of it?

I've seen both and can't decide which is better.

Thanks!
    www.ventralfins.com

In -> blows dust into the canopy. Would be good if exterior is cooler than interior.
    Out -> Pushes warm air out

You say potato, I say potatoe.

Can you create one of each and put a filter on the intake? When I built my computer this is what i did and there are premade filters that snap around the fan casing or you can easily make one your self.
    Painting the world with drool and poop since 2007! ~ Papa Greg

Comment

One of each.... but most fixtures have them blowing in.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

One of each it is!

But another question. Can i hook up two AC fans in parallel?
        www.ventralfins.com

Comment

Not positive, but I believe you can...

CF
          Truth is the cement that holds the bricks and stones of a sane and civilized society together. Remove the former and the latter will crumble.

Comment

Depends
            Its all about air flow.
            I assume you are trying to equalize the temperature between the inside and outside. Therfore if the inside is warmer than the outside and the fan is closer to the heat source than the air inlet, you want to blow the hot air out. If the fan is farther from the heat source than the exit path, you want to blow the cool air in. The opposite is true if you are trying to warm up the tank.

'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
            He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

You could also have two fans blowing out with vent cut in the sides. There's a negative/postive pressure situation to be aware of . But I digress. Sorta.
              Painting the world with drool and poop since 2007! ~ Papa Greg

Comment

From an engineering perspective ; pump the cool air (in). It is more dense and the fan will move more pounds of air/watt.

Comment

Originally posted by nacra99 View Post
                  One of each it is!

But another question. Can i hook up two AC fans in parallel?
                  Yes.

Comment

Working...
                  X